Dropsy or what??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

elliott_001

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi everyone,
One of our ruykins has recently became sick, he is now in a hospital tank having daily water changes. It's a bit of a long story (there is another post about him on here called "goldfish problem - trouble swimming").
Basically, i need a diagnosis, does this fish have dropsy?? His scales are sticking out and he is stuck on his side, but apart from that he seems fine. He is still eating whatever we feed him - mainly peas at the moment, and he is not off colour.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h272/elliott_001/DSC_0008.jpg

Here is a picture - not a great one, but it shows the scales sticking out. If you need anymore pics i can get you them.

I have been looking for some epsom salts, but all i could find was API Aquarium Phamaceuticals Aquarium Salt. I realise this is not the same thing, but it's the best i can get. I have been using this for 2 days, following the instructions on the packaging.

The other two treatments i have which could be used for this are Interpet No. 13 Swimbladder treatment and no.9 Anti Internal Bacteria.

This is why i need the diagnosis, i really know what the exact problem is. I think it is dropsy, but i am just suprised how long its been going on like this, he isnt getting worse, or better. Must have been about 2 weeks now!?

Are these treatments any good? There the best i could get my hands on. BTW, im in the UK, so many things you have in the US i cant get over here.

Any help would be great, as im feeling rather stuck at the moment!
TIA.
David.

Epsom salt can be found at drug stores. I don't have any experince with the Interpet brand. What are the ingrdients?

Doesn't give ingredients?!"
"API Aquarium Salt
All natural salt, made from evaporated sea water, promotes healthy gill function, reduces stress and loss of electrolytes.

Used to improve the efficiency of medications and reduce the harmful effects of nitrite.

Aquarium Salt can be used with tropical fish, goldfish and koi. Aquarium Salt will not change pH.

Aquarium Salt should not be used as a substitute for marine aquarium salt."

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/aquarium_salts.php - this page sort of explains the differences.

So i can get epsom salts from the chemist/drug store. I will have to see if i can get any on monday.

Is this more like dropsy? Or is could it be swimbladder probs and bloating?
Thanks again.

Its hard to tell if its dropsy - if he looks like a pinecone when viewed from above then you could call it dropsy. Dropsy itself isn't a disease - its more a result of a variety of diseases. The epsom salts will help with constipation. Start diluting the aquarium salt so that all of it is pretty much removed before you add the epsom salts. Keep feedings peas since he's eating. Microwave them and remove the skins before you give them to him.

You should be able to get Epsom salt from any pharmacy or drug store.

Hard to tell for me too whether it's dropsy. But like joannde said, it's not an illness in itself. It could be your fish finally succuming to the stress of it's ordeal. Dropsy is what occurs when the internal organs get infected and stop expelling fluids. Since it is eating, try feeding antibacterial or antifungal medicated foods. This will help if it is some sort of internal infection.

Thanks for the advice, i will try and get some epsom salts tomorrow. I may just be me, but i always find it hard to find the things you guy talk about. I went into the lfs the other day to try and get some antibacterial medicated foods and epsom salts, but i couldn't find either! lol.

The only treatment i have for internal bacteria is the one i mentioned above.
Also, (again, i know it's hard for you to tell) what are the chances of this fish gaining it's swimming ability back? It is stuck on it's side at the moment, but can sometimes (on for a few secs) wiggle its way off the bottom, and sort of look like its swimming. It always had been a funny fish when it comes to swimming, it would occassionally "topple" over, but it never minded, just the way he is!

Thanks again.

I've done some internet searches for you. It seems that fancy goldfish are prone to this diseases. Sometimes its genetic, sometimes is bacterial, sometimes its a virus, sometimes it's bad water quality (high nitrates), sometimes its poor feeding (unsoaked foods, lack of variety). If he's always swum "a bit funny" then it could be genetic and in that case nothing can be done. Just keep trying what you're doing. Best of luck, keep us posted

elliott, I'm afraid our different countries are to blame. ;) Regardless, epsom salts you shold be able to find just about anywhere, I'm guessing. Interpret isn't a brand available in the US.

Right, thanks for the replies, i have some epsom salts! Didn't want them thinking i was constipated, so i said it was for a bloated fish, lol! They actually said the local fish farm buy it from them fairly oftern.
So thats good, now, how should i treat the fish? Do i have to add the salts gradually? I will probably be working in litres, not that thats your problem! Im not sure the conversion from US gallons, but im sure i can find out.

Another thing, the sick fish is actually in the tank with his healthy friend (another ryukin). Will this matter? We dont have anywhere else for it to go (bit of a long story), but hopefully we will have another tank soon to put him in, and then hopefully the sick one when he gets better!

Thanks again,
David.

Edit: I've done a bit of reading, is it best to give the fish salt baths rather than add salt to the tank?
http://groups.msn.com/AngieandAndrewsAquatics/medications.msnw
This site recommends it. Is this the correct dose? 2 teaspoons to 1 gallon of tank water for ten mins?

It appears he has lost his appetite, i could not get him to eat any food just now, i even held it infront of his mouth so he sucked it, but pushed it straight out again....frustrating.

Here is the lastest picture, still not great, but it's difficult because he is always on his side.
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h272/elliott_001/DSC_0162.jpg

He has died, did a water change before i went to bed, must have died over night.

Back
Top Bottom