Dropsy???? please help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amyb_70

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi its the newbie again with yet another guppy question.. Can anyone please tell me if this looks like dropsy to you? possible early stages, im not sure. But i will be adding a few fish that i see a larger belly on..
If this is dropsy what do i do? I have other fish in the tank, my qt is being used to hold fry and very small endlers. the last photo he doesnt have an enlarged belly but this is what the black/white one was doing yesterday, same spot.. there are 3 in question of dropsy and the last one i dont know. all different fish.
please help i do not want a disaster in my aquarium. My water levels are right where they should be (im sorry i dont have the numbers off hand).
i am not sure why i keep going back and trying w/ guppies, i have had problem after problem but thought it was resolved when i traded my Chinese Algae Eater, and it did. all was well for a few weeks until i got these fellows. they were all bought at the same store, which i know i shouldnt buy from there, but they were so beautiful i couldnt resist... i thought they would make even prettier fry w/ the ladies i have..

Attachments

• 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    203.9 KB · Views: 60
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    220.5 KB · Views: 54
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    223.2 KB · Views: 59
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    251.2 KB · Views: 56
Have they been staying near the surface and clamping fins? Other than the little bit of belly why else do you suspect dropsy?

They look pretty normal to me. I don't see protruding scales or lesions or anything else that would suggest dropsy. Healthy male guppys do get a belly on them.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Angela thank you for responding. The black one you see at the top just died a few minutes ago. And I found another this morning. As you see the last photo that guy has been hanging out near the substrate. What does This mean? You ask why I say dropsy, well only because the bellys. The black/white one you'd swear was female, he looked like he swallowed a marble. He was fine 2 days ago yesterday I noticed his belly looked bigger and this morning it was even larger. I'm currently doing an 80% water change. Any opinions what it may be?

Also note: it's ONLY the guppies. No other fish are or have had problems.

Hmmm that is kinda strange. Hopefully someone else who knows more about dropsy will chime in.
I know guppies can be hit or miss anyways with stuff since they've been bred so much.

Like I said most of my males have some "chunky bellies" too and have had them since I have had them. I think my newest male is like 4 or so months that I've had him. I've lost a couple of females randomly and I have no idea why

I keep saying I give up on guppies but I always go back. I'm drawn to them. I don't like to large of a fish and I want peaceful. You know I like to see something that's calming to the mind, body and soul. Weird I sulpose

Tropical flakes and 2 small amounts a day.

Back
Top Bottom