Dropsy?!?!? Please HELP!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EthanBeltramo

Aquarium Advice Freak
This is best image I could get but my betta has slightly raised scales and I think he may have dropsy. Please help on a cure or what I can do!!!!!!ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424483543.725827.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Dragon14 had this happen to get betta and it progressively got worse until the poor thing passed. It's a good thing you are recognizing the signs now. Here's some treatment videos for you: this video is how to treat goldfish but the protocol is the same.

Here's a informational video:

Hope you can save your little friend!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Please correct me if I'm wrong. My understanding is that salt just helps relieve stress. But I don't think it could harm your betta, so go ahead.

I have researched, everything seas it may be cured if caught in its early stages but may be impossible to cure over time. I have seen people giving epson salt baths? Any advice on how to do that.

I do not think Epsom salt baths is really going to do much for the fish unfortunately. However I could be wrong. Try that medicine mentioned In the video.

I do not think Epsom salt baths is really going to do much for the fish unfortunately. However I could be wrong. Try that medicine mentioned In the video.

If you actually watch the video that you posted, the very first thing suggested is using Epsom salt as a tank treatment and avoiding aq salt.

It then suggests using kanamycin. However, with a fish with a compromised renal system, kana is very hard on the kidneys and can cause further damage. It's a gamble. It then goes on to suggest Metromeds, which are no longer available, as well as oxolinic acid. Ox acid is a gram negative antibiotic but it can also be hard on organ systems and it is difficult to acquire.

Metromeds combined with ox acid in a tank is a good combination for a fish suffering from early bacterial dropsy symptoms that does not have extensive systemic damage. However, it worth noting that although a fish may 'recover', the chances of this happening again are very high.

This is best image I could get but my betta has slightly raised scales and I think he may have dropsy. Please help on a cure or what I can do!!!!!!View attachment 264918

Can you please tell us some more about him? Parameters? Tank size? Wc schedule? Diet? Has he been exposed to any new fish in the past few months or is he new? Do you have access to fish medications such as medicated foods or antibiotics? The more information you can provide, the better we will be able to help! :)

If you actually watch the video that you posted, the very first thing suggested is using Epsom salt as a tank treatment and avoiding aq salt.

It then suggests using kanamycin. However, with a fish with a compromised renal system, kana is very hard on the kidneys and can cause further damage. It's a gamble. It then goes on to suggest Metromeds, which are no longer available, as well as oxolinic acid. Ox acid is a gram negative antibiotic but it can also be hard on organ systems and it is difficult to acquire.

Metromeds combined with ox acid in a tank is a good combination for a fish suffering from early bacterial dropsy symptoms that does not have extensive systemic damage. However, it worth noting that although a fish may 'recover', the chances of this happening again are very high.

It might help a little but I don't think it will solve the entire problem is what I meant.

Can you please tell us some more about him? Parameters? Tank size? Wc schedule? Diet? Has he been exposed to any new fish in the past few months or is he new? Do you have access to fish medications such as medicated foods or antibiotics? The more information you can provide, the better we will be able to help! :)

I have had him since July
Will test my water soon
Ten gallon since October (When I got him I knew nothing about fish and I had him living in a bowl, but then aa saved my fish from that bowl convincing me to immediately get a ten gallon.)
WC varies a lot, usually 1-5 gallons weekly. I will do like seven gallons today.
I added five ghost shrimps in mid January and two koi swordtails on Monday(I will move them to my bigger tank later)
I have no medications but am in walking distance to petco (can't leave now because in the middle of a major snowstorm. It's only 5 outside) was using fin rot Meds in January.
- in October I made the mistake of homing him with some black skirts. His fins were shredded to his body(about a millimeter at the longest) and he would just float there. In late December he caught fin rot but I cleared it up. He has been acting differently lately. His fins are unbelievable. They regres in a month and are now huge. His top fin is a little grey? I feed him tetra flakes and occasionally freeze dried blood worms. A shrimp recently just shedded. Tank is kept a 76. Will test water soon.

1~What type of fish is afflicted? Male half moon betta

In addition, please describe what is wrong with the fish to the best of your ability (i.e. cotton like growth, bloated, etc.). Pine coning scales, bloated, bulging eyes, sitting in the corner. DROPSY!!!:(

2~What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? Please give exact values.
Ph- 7.5
Ammonia- .25 ppm ( have no idea what is causing this! Last week I tested 0!)
Nitrite- 0ppm
Nitrate- 0-5 ppm (just did an 80% water change)
Temp- 77°F

3~ How large is the tank? 10 gallons

How long has the tank been set up? Since October

4~What type of filtration are you using? Please give the name and number (i.e. Fluval 304) and amount of gph if known. Tetra PF10 90 gallons per hour 5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes? 2 female koi swordtails around 1-2". 1 male betta around 2.5" 5 ghost shrimp(one recently shed his exoskeleton) 6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? Today, 80% How often do you do this? Weekly How much water do you remove at a time? 2.5 gallons 7~How long have you had the fish? Since July If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them? Didn't but that was months ago 8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.? Coconut hut, small anubias from another tank 9~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently? Flakes, various types, rarely peas(fed one today) and occasionally freeze dried blood worms Please HELP! It is getting worse! Want to go to LFS but snowed in!! Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Thank you! Aside from a water change, I m afraid you are limited in your options until you are able to drive somewhere. :(

Do you have Epsom salt in your medicine cabinet or any antibiotics on hand? Petco doesn't sell antibiotics, unfortunately, but Petsmart has a very limited selection available. Let us know!

Ok. I made my way to petco and got Epsom salt and melafix. Seams to be going well!

Back
Top Bottom