Dust Particles *Please Help!*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WingedGrace

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, I have a tank which has been running for a few weeks and i have small dust particles that float around the surface and move around with the filter flow. It doesnt seem to be affecting my fish much but its still there and i would like to be rid of it.
I have tried:
-Taking filter and biowheel out for an hour
-Rinsing filter and biowheel in cold water
-stopping filter and scooping it out
-using a bacteria supplement
-I would try the fine filter media but i cannot seem to find that anywhere

My Tank is a 20 gallon with LED lights, a heater and a penguin 150 biowheel filter. It contains 4 guppies and 4 platies so far.
**Everything in my tank has been rinsed thoroughly before putting it in

Last edited:
Is there a health issue with your fish?

If not, there is absolutely NO logical reason to dose medications. Even if there is a health issue, randomly dumping meds in your tank will only create further problems. Health issues need to be diagnosed and treated with appropriate meds to be effective as well as prevent issues of medication resistance. Medications should only be considered for health issues when other, less invasive options have been considered.

Can you possibly post a picture of what you are seeing along with your parameters and water change schedule? This will help us to help you better! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Furan 2 is a anti-microbal. Your tank has microbes. eventually so will your fish. Tetracycline is an antibiotic not anti-microbal.

Nitrofurazone and furazolidone, the active ingredients in Furan2, are both broad spectrum but old school antibiotics. They do not treat fungal issues either.

Microbes exist everywhere- the air we breathe, the surfaces we touch, the water in our tanks are full of microscopic, single celled organisms such as bacteria, fungi, protists, etc. Without "microbes", the processes of nature would not exist (nitrification cycle, decomposition, etc). Even something simple as digestion would not be possible.

Under these circumstances, treating an unknown issue of water clarity with antibiotics is akin to medicating a cold with chemotherapy. With more information, further suggestions can be made.

Your absolutely right we need more info....... But Furan 2 dosent treat mold/fungus? Why the heck then do people prescribe it for the secondary fungal issues when treating with kanamycin for tail rot?

Edit:
I know what hes talking about. I had it when i first set up my fancy goldfish tank years ago. Its very annoying, just floating mold spores everywhere. He needs something to "nuke" the tank.....primafix maybe?
I have been told and always been under the impression that the second ingredient, nitrafuradazole or whatever added a anti-fungal aspect to furan.

Kanamycin works synergistically with fura antibiotics to provide more broad spectrum antibiotic treatment for difficult bacterial issues. Kanamycin is strictly gram negative while fura antibiotics cover gram positive and negative bacteria (on a very limited basis, however). Neither treat fungus but they can treat secondary bacterial infections that arise in areas damaged by fungus. Fura antibiotics inhibit bacterial growth (they do not kill bacteria) allowing the immune system to more effectively battle bacterial infections. Newer antibiotics actually kill bacteria but they have very specific mechanisms for handling the process which are not applicable to every situation.

Once again, until more information is known, suggesting medications is very inappropriate and will create further issues.

I went and exchanged my filter for the Tetra whisper EX30 and there is still a little bit but there isnt much at all anymore

I'm not convinced this tank is cycled. Pics needed. Also, what are your current tank parameters (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, ph)? What test kit do you use? All these suggestions are based on nothing at the moment. Throwing meds in a tank should be considered only after a diagnosis, and clean water fails.

JLK, since your so knowlageable, what is the best medicine for fungus? API's "fungus Cure" has Malachite green and acriflavin, is that the best choice? I would just tell people methylene blue all the time, but ovbiously its not good for plants, carpets or Nitrifying bacteria. Ive been telling people to use furan 2, now i feel bad that it dosent treat fungus.

Gads, I hope it's not pimafix?

I mean I use it and have success with it on fungus but I think the fish is doing 90% of the work sometimes.

Huh, i guess i just always thought that furan-2 was a anti-microbal that kills mold in tanks. Im glad i learned that. The one im thinking of is API "fungus Cure" which turns out is not furan green but Malachite Green + Acriflavin.....
WingedGrace, it may just need some time to clear up on its own. Is your tank bare bottom? A strong filter will certainly help free your tank from these floating microbe colonies. But JLK is right, i jumped the gun, you probably shouldnt just nuke your tank with Green because it is hard on the fish. Sorry i jumped the gun. lol

Huh, i guess i just always thought that furan-2 was a anti-microbal that kills mold in tanks. Im glad i learned that. The one im thinking of is API "fungus Cure" which turns out is not furan green but Malachite Green + Acriflavin.....

WingedGrace, it may just need some time to clear up on its own. Is your tank bare bottom? A strong filter will certainly help free your tank from these floating microbe colonies. But JLK is right, i jumped the gun, you probably shouldnt just nuke your tank with Green because it is hard on the fish. Sorry i jumped the gun. lol

Had it shown up on something or a post out of interest? I just looked at the furan-2 box I have and just mentions for bacteria treatment.

Pima or MB are all the options I know of here.

I went and exchanged my filter for the Tetra whisper EX30 and there is still a little bit but there isnt much at all anymore

What do your parameters read and what is your wc schedule? Picture? This would be very helpful in trying to address your situation.

Matt, its my opinion that people need to start with tank conditions in order to address true fungal conditions. True fungus is not very common. Unhealthy water and unhealthy fish are typically the root of the problem and need to be addressed before anything can be healthy or for meds to be effective. Healthy fish occasionally get fungal infections but it will typically be at the site of an injury/abrasion (it needs an entry point).

Caveat here is fungal infections and bacterial infections can look very similar and difficult to tell apart. Example being using Furan to treat what you believe is a fungal infection and it works- this indicates it was bacterial and not fungal. A product such as Jungle/Tetra fungus contains antibiotics and antifungal to eliminate the guesswork. I actually stick to using MB (bath or swab only) or BioBandage for a rare fungus issue but they also help limit possible secondary bacterial infections. Bottom line here is healthy water (and a good diet) is the best preventative we have. Hope this helps! :)

Right on. I know methylene blue is the best for fungus on wounds, tails ect. I guess I always thought the "greens" like Victoria and furan also worked for fungus. What this person likely has, is a incomplete cycle or he added too much prebiotic Zyme to his water. So it's just colonies of bacteria or mold floating around his tank....this is bad for fish no doubt.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Ya they market it as "fungus Cure". I actually got that confused with Furan green because their both green and their both sold as "fungus cure" or at least they use to be. The OP said "gave a healthy dose of Probiotic Zyme" which makes me think he added too much of it and now has a bacterial bloom.

Back
Top Bottom