dwarf blue gourami lingering in top corner of tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brry

Aquarium Advice Regular
The other fish are fine.

He just hangs up in the top corner of the tank. I thought maybe he wasn't getting enough oxygen so I lowered the water level so it made more bubbles. I also did a water change.

He's new to the tank. The first two days he was fine, swimming around. It's day three and he's acting funny.

Temp is 78 which should be about perfect for a gourami. Been feeding him bloodworms.

It's unlikely it's an oxygen issue since gourami's breathe from the surface through their labyrinth organ as well.

What are your water parameters?

I have no idea what my water parameters are, as for the past year I buy my water from the fish store. It's high quality, filtered 4 times, and I never see any sick fish in there. Never had an trouble with their water.

Well. So, maybe he's not at the surface "gasping" as I thought then? He's just breathing? LOL!

But can't figure out what he's doing hanging up in the corner then. Catching a nap? He swims in a little circle, then goes right back to his corner.

Store bought water is not always a good thing. Any paticular reason you aren't using tap?

How often are you doing water changes and how much of the water do you change out at that time?

You really need a test kit to properly run an aquarium so I would pick one up when you can.

Well they do hang out up top a lot but it sounds like this isn't the norm. Is he swimming funny?

Oh wait- I see the problem. One of his fins looks torn. Maybe he got nipped? He's in there with some neon tetras and a guppy. None of those are aggressive fish. What could have happened?

**** I had the same problem he was fine for like 1 year then one of his whiskers was cut in half. He would stay at the top of the water in a corner for 2 month. During this period my water was fine param good doing API test. He finally passed and I could never figure out why. He would eat only when I put it next to him on his finale days but before he would go towards it and then go back to his corner.

What did you have him in there with?

I think my problem is I have this aggressive guppy. He chased the other guppies constantly until they died, and now he chases my clown loach. Never did see him chasing my gourami, but the nipped fin is tell-tale. Maybe he was fighting him for the bloodworms.

brry said:
What did you have him in there with?

I think my problem is I have this aggressive guppy. He chased the other guppies constantly until they died, and now he chases my clown loach. Never did see him chasing my gourami, but the nipped fin is tell-tale. Maybe he was fighting him for the bloodworms.

I had angels and another gourami 1 jellybean cichlid. Nobody was to aggressive simple chase then stop but he was fine for ever then I noticed him in the corner thought he was dead. I then noticed his whisker and he never left that corner after that. After awhile he I got used to it and then 2 month later he was gone

Guppies are supposed to be passive fish, but mine didn't read the book.

brry said:
Guppies are supposed to be passive fish, but mine didn't read the book.

The only thing I didn't so was separate him because at the time I dint have a place for him to go. He wasn't getting harassed in the corner so I was really optimistic it would actually work

Back
Top Bottom