Dwarf Gourami acting funny, please help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

papa_bear_21

Aquarium Advice Freak
1~What type of fish is afflicted? Male dwarf gourami, he has been sitting on the bottom of the tank, not eating. When he does swim up, he darts straight to the surface, then slowly falls to the bottom. He does not appear to be swimming sideways or anything like that, or lay sideways.

2~What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)?
Ammonia: 0 Nitrites: 0 Nitrates: ~15 Ph: 7.5

3~ How large is the tank? 55 gallon tropical community, established for 6 months or so now

4~What type of filtration are you using? 1: AC 30, gated down to about half 1: AC 50, gated down to about half 1: rena XP2.

5~How many fish are in the tank? 2 dwarf gourami about 1-1.5 inches, 1 mango pleco about 2 inches, 2 yo yo loaches about 1.5, 3 mollies, 1-1.5, 4 blackskirts about 1.5, 1 common and 1 gibbi plec both about 5 inches, 5 rasbora 1-1.5, 3 khuli 2-3, 5 dojos 3-6, and various other tropicals ranging from 1-2 inches

6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? a little over a week ago, and about 60 to 75%

7~How long have you had the fish? about a week, drip acclimated for about an hour

8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.? just some newer fish

9~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently? no dietary change, tetramin tropical crisps, like the flakes, but cleaner...

He is the only one acting like this, I've never kept gourami's, so I dont know if this is normal or not. I believe it to be the male, as it's the bigger fish of the pair.

Thank you folks in advance,

Bear

You say you got him a week ago. Has he been sitting on the gravel since you got him or just recently? When I used to work retail, I would get entire batches of gouramis that would just be sooo lethargic and not move. They would eventually die (Sorry!) and I would never know why. I tried to conjure up some reasons why that happened, and the best I came up with was that maybe it's an issue with their labyrinth organ. Since they are labyrinth fish just like bettas. If they ever were stressed a lot, temp changes, etc. anything at all while there were shipped I think it just makes them super weak.

Sorry, know this doesn't help much. Seems like you did everything right. Maybe the best thing you can do is to just let the fish be and see what happens.

HTH :)

ty for that info, but my wife called me earlier today to tell me that he didnt make it.:(
we are watching the female because my wife said she saw her as she calls it "sharking" swimming from one end to the other as if she was searching for him.

Aw, I'm sorry he didn't make it. :( When he was going up to the surface, was he blowing any bubbles from his mouth or gills? Was he taking plants with him? That's what my male gourami does when he's building a nest. At the same time, he's pretty uninterested in food but definitely doesn't sit still.

FWIW, my male and females are distinctly different, colorwise. The male has much more red in his tail and rear-half and the females occasionally blush red but stay blue all the time.

Does the place you bought him from offer any sort of a guarantee?

~g

Back
Top Bottom