dwarf gourami and blood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikemou

Aquarium Advice Activist
The gourami I got a week ago was apparently dying so I did a mercy killing last night putting it in ice cubes.
And then came blood!!! From near one of its gills!
I'm sort of freaked out because I've never seen this before. I fear this is some nasty infectious illness. Its belly was all swellen up.
Any ideas?

I doubt it's anything that severe, but give me a day to go through my aquarium literature (I've got a ton of it) and see if those symptoms describe anything horrible.

Liggs

well, the blood out of its gills is probabl because it is dead, and I have heard of some parasites that sweel the stomach, I would not worry about it, he probably was bought with it, just try again and see what happens.

I haven't heard of that before and am curious to see what Liggs finds. Sorry to hear about it. :(

Oops! I sent the information as a private message. In a nutshell, I didn't find anything. Fish can have tuberculosis and it can be transferred to humans, but it's symptoms do not include a swollen belly. Probably is a parasite of some kind causing the swelling, and the blood could have just come up the gullet and out the gills.

Liggs

Back
Top Bottom