Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-06-2011, 04:09 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Dwarf Gourami Complications

I have learned so much in such short time and all this information I've recieved is all over the forums, so I decided to make a specific forum for recieving critiques and information here.

So, I got some more questions. As everyone knows by now, I adore gouramis (hence the username choice). I want to keep keeping gouramis. Here are the questions:

1. I currently have a 10 gallon tank with four dwarf gouramis and one honey dwarf gourami. So far, so bad. I think all of them are male. That is very bad.

2. I was suggested to keep only ONE dwarf and return the rest. What other types of fish (I'm open to tetras, etc.) can I also put with my dwarf gourami in my ten gallon?

3. If I were to keep all of my gouramis, what size of tank is recommended to me? I'm definitely returning two males, so that leaves me keeping two male dwarfs, and one male honey gourami. That means I would need nine females? What tank size is needed for that? I wanted a golden gourami, so she could be one of the nine. Again, what size would that mean?

4. Recommendations of water test kit brands please.

Old 10-06-2011, 04:16 AM   #2
Daphnia are People Too.
Community Moderator

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gouramii View Post
I have learned so much in such short time and all this information I've recieved is all over the forums, so I decided to make a specific forum for recieving critiques and information here.

So, I got some more questions. As everyone knows by now, I adore gouramis (hence the username choice). I want to keep keeping gouramis. Here are the questions:

1. I currently have a 10 gallon tank with four dwarf gouramis and one honey dwarf gourami. So far, so bad. I think all of them are male. That is very bad.

2. I was suggested to keep only ONE dwarf and return the rest. What other types of fish (I'm open to tetras, etc.) can I also put with my dwarf gourami in my ten gallon?

3. If I were to keep all of my gouramis, what size of tank is recommended to me? I'm definitely returning two males, so that leaves me keeping two male dwarfs, and one male honey gourami. That means I would need nine females? What tank size is needed for that? I wanted a golden gourami, so she could be one of the nine. Again, what size would that mean?

4. Recommendations of water test kit brands please.
API Master kit of freshwater is a good one. Make sure you get a liquid test kit that covers nitrate, nitrite, ammonia, and Ph. AVoid the test strips, they aren't accurate.
Some small schoolers are chili rasbora, ember tetras, celestial pearl danios, and Endler's liverbearers.

Old 10-06-2011, 04:18 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Oh, and here's information about my tank set up (bear with me, some might be unknown because I am a Canadian most likely using Canadian products, if not, easier to figure out for anyone else):

1. 300 Cascade Underwater Filter for 10 gallons

2. 50 watt (I think) heater by... Marina? For 10 gallons.

3. Lots of plants (all fake).

4. Pretty sure all fish are male.

5. 1 dwarf honey gourami and 4 dwarf gouramis.

6. Not sure what lights I am using, I just know it's a long bulb. My tank has a lid.

7. Ammonia level is more than... (trying to remember the color scale on the water test)... All I know that the first level of ammonia testing the color is pale pale green then a bit darker... Mine is at the second color from the top. My other levels are light pink (nitrate, nitrite).

8. Temperature constantly at 25 degrees Celsius.
Old 10-06-2011, 04:25 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Not sure if I am cycling properly... I thought cycling was:

I have this bottle and it says "Cycle" on it, and every Wednesday (the bottle says add a capful for every 10 gallons weekly) so that's what I've been doing. It says that reduces stress and whatnot for the tank.
Old 10-06-2011, 04:38 AM   #5
Daphnia are People Too.
Community Moderator

POTM Champion

Quote:
Not sure if I am cycling properly... I thought cycling was:

I have this bottle and it says "Cycle" on it, and every Wednesday (the bottle says add a capful for every 10 gallons weekly) so that's what I've been doing. It says that reduces stress and whatnot for the tank.
What brand is the cycle stuff? Truthfully, all of the cycle in a bottle stuff I know of is crap. The ammonia level should be 0, nitrtite 0, and nitrate should be present, but low. 5-10 ppm is ok. You will need to measure all these levels in order to see how your cycle is doing. How long did you say the tank has been running?
Old 10-06-2011, 04:38 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

ONE mooore thing before I go to bed is that if I keep 1 dwarf gourami, how many other the other types of fish can I contain in a 10gallon?
Old 10-06-2011, 04:39 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Oh the tank has been running since September 1st.
Old 10-06-2011, 04:41 AM   #8
Daphnia are People Too.
Community Moderator

POTM Champion

Quote:
ONE mooore thing before I go to bed is that if I keep 1 dwarf gourami, how many other the other types of fish can I contain in a 10gallon?
If you pick one of the nano schoolers (like the ones I mentioned above), you can fit 6. There are also gold ringed danios and pygmy corys and Asian Stone Catfish.
Old 10-06-2011, 09:29 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

Nutrafin Cycle. That's all it says... There's no picture or logo or anything, just that title.
Old 10-06-2011, 05:08 PM   #10
Daphnia are People Too.
Community Moderator

POTM Champion

Quote:
Nutrafin Cycle. That's all it says... There's no picture or logo or anything, just that title.
Ok, I think that stuff is worthless. Maybe somebody else disagrees with me though. I don't actually knwo of any bottled cycles that work. Once you get a water sample tested, you will know more about where you stand in terms of water parameters. Your ammonia should be 0. Even low levels of ammonia are still toxic to fish.

Tags
dwarf, dwarf gourami, gourami

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com