Dwarf gourami faded colors

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Noghri

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have 2 dwarf gouramis, I had 3 but one died shortly after I got it. Of the 2 remaining, I noticed that one is significantly duller in color than the other. The attached picture shows both.

I have noticed that the brighter one picks on the duller one some. Could the dullness be because of stress or some thing else (or nothing at all?)

Attachments

• image-4113745431.jpg
    image-4113745431.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 333
Does it act normal? What are you water test results?

It seems to act normal. Water tests 8.0pH steady, ammonia <.25 nitrite 0 and nitrate 10. There hasn't been anything that has really changed. I have noticed over the past month or so a steady color fade.

I've recently posted about this same exact problem, and everyone instantly began asking about water parameters, etc., which is the normal first response. Mine were all within normal ranges....and no further solutions were offered. Then I started doing some intense internet research. I found that Dwarf Gouramis in particular have become markedly less hardy through generations of over-breeding and are particularly vulnerable to a disease called Dwarf Gourami Iridovirus. Iridovirus is a disease that develops and effects specific varieties of fish. This is exactly what looks like your situation is, as it appears to be exactly the same issue I had in my tank. There are some good articles on the internet about it, and it appears that a large portion of the imported fish batches (mostly from fish farms in Asia) are effected by it. It can be a long, drawn out disease, and by all the research I've done, it is highly contagious amongst Dwarf Gouramis in the same tank, incurable and fatal. Unfortunately, it is a slowly developing disease, and may not show up for weeks or months after purchase...or could show up in days. Just depends on how stressed the fish is. The less stress, the longer it will last. Although I LOVE the look of Dwarf Gouramis, and the articles recommend only buying Dwarf Gouramis bred from certain areas (or NOT bred in certain areas), I've just quit buying them all together. I do know that most of the major large-scale pet stores (Petco, Petsmart, etc) buy their Dwarf Gourami stock from these questionable markets.

My tank paramaters have been steady.

8.0pH
Ammonia <.25
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10-20

I do weekly water changes of 10 gallons.

I didn't think it would be anything to do with water quality. Its sad to know that it might be Iridovirus.

I'll try to do some more research on it, but my biggest most pressing question is what do I do with my healthy looking fish? I unfortuanlly don't have a tank I can use for QT currently, (my 5 gallon has a unknown fry and some shrimp in it) I just read that it may be transferable to other species as well as within the species.

Well I picked up a cheap 10g to put him in. Seeded with some filter media, I'll keep an eye on him, and do what I can while he survives. With luck my other one won't have been infected.

What size tank were they in together? My dwarf gourami LOVES live plants. He's the gardener in my tank. It could be something stupid like he didn't have enough play holes and maze things and he was stressed out. I asked on another thread weeks ago about DG disease, what you guys were talking about, and some key signs are lethargy and bloating. He might brighten up now that he's alone, too.

They were in a 55g. Plenty of hiding spots. I hope it's just stress, he did get bullied a bit. We will see. If he recovers I will try it again.

If he brightens back up, I would leave him in his own house. If you really can't leave him there, take the other one out before you add him back in. You would otherwise have what to me sounds like an already territorial DG in there and would be adding a territorial threat to it. You would also wanna move some decor around. Make it all look new to both.

I think you have a few things going on. First you should have zero ammonia in your tank. How long has it been set up? Second your dull one is dull because he is being picked on. The dominate one is bright because he is the most powerful. I would up you water changes to like 50% and do your changes frequently until you consistently have zero ammonia. If you can fit more Gouramies in your tank I would that way it's not one on one. Three or four would be better.

My Tank has been set up since OCT, it has been completely cycled. the ammonia was less than .25. I recently changed my substrate from gravel to eco-complete, which caused a mini cycle. Its returned to 0 now. I am confident that water quality has not caused any of this.

There is a chance that the fish was stressed. I did mention that they pick on each other some, however they spend majority of the time at opposite ends of the tank. They have been separated now, as per my earlier post. I believe only time will tell if its stress or the DG disease.

Back
Top Bottom