Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-04-2012, 06:34 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Dwarf Gourami - Hole in the head disease?

Hey all!

I've had my 10g aquarium tank set up for about 5 months now, and about 2 months ago introduced a Dwarf gourami (and shortly after, about a week introduced two corydora catfish).

Fully planted, Excel and cheap co2 system +nutrients for plant upkeep, and 25% water changes every week to control nitrates and ammonia.

Dwarf gourami has been fine up until the last two weeks. Last week, I noticed a patch on top of his head that was black-ish, where it looked like he had rubbed scales off his head. I have a plastic pagoda in the tank where he frequently goes in and out of to snatch food from the cories (and is not entirely made for gouramis) so i thought it might have been an injury from that. Added a bit of aquarium salt (not too much because of the cories) and the spot seemed to get better, returning to a blue-tint.

However just today while i was feeding him, I noticed a multitude of pin-holes all over his face, and his spot is back to being black again. Researched it online and it sounds like it could potentially be a bacterial disease.

He is very active, and still has quite a good appetite.

FOOD details:

Tetramin Flakes, baby shrimp, and (when he can get them) granules
Top Fin freeze-dried bloodworms
Hikari sinking wafers (for my cories, but as you can see in the pics he enjoys them too!) They contain vitamin C , Spirulina, silkworm, and krill.

I vary with their food, and feed them twice a day.

Tank details

PH- 7.2-7.5
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrites: 0ppm
Nitrates: 20ppm (currently battling algae problem)
KH: 80ppm
GH: 60ppm

I've also attached pictures below, they're taken with my Iphone since my camera is dead, sorry!

Note: The water circulation in my tank could be better. I have a large piece of driftwood that impedes the water from circulating quickly around one corner of the tank. Hoping the new bubble Co2 system i'm setting up will help (as i plan on putting it in that corner)

Also note, corydoras are healthy and fat, no ailments on their part!

I hope you guys can give some insight on what he might have before I freak out and start treating him for something he doesn't have. thanks a lot!

Old 02-05-2012, 08:47 AM   #2
jlk
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thank you for the great information & clear pictures! As I do not know what your fish looked like previously and do not have personal experience with HITH, I do know a few schools of thought exist in respect to it. Poor water conditions (which you do not have), an inadequate diet (yours seems adequate), or a possible heximata infection. There are rumors in respect to carbon having some effect as well but I have never seen info proving or disproving this theory. I listed a link below- see if this story sounds like your situation. If it does, I would add a vitamin & mineral supplement & treat with metronizadole (most common med used to treat heximata). Good luck!!!

FlippersandFins.net Hole in the Head Syndrome

Tags
disease, dwarf, dwarf gourami, gourami, hole, hole in the head

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com