Dwarf Gourami Sick? or Normal behavior?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

My Fish Babies.

Aquarium Advice Activist
1~What type of fish is afflicted?

Male Dwarf Gourami...............Going on two weeks of owning him. At first he was very active swimming all around the tank now he just sits or floats in the top right corner of the tank. No physical signs of illness. He barely moves now at all. Seems to be eating a bit still.

2~What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? Please give exact values.

Ammonia 0.25 Nitrites 0 Nitrates 20 ph 7 temp 72

3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up?

29 gallon established.

4~What type of filtration are you using? Please give the name and number (i.e. Fluval 304) and amount of gph if known.

Penguin 200 bio wheel HOB

5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes?

6 diamond tetras 3 Bolivian rams 3 mystery snails

6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time?

80% water change every monday with partial gravel vac.

7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them?

almost two weeks old drip acclimated

8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.?

no

9~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently?

flake food

Definitely abnormal behavior. Is this an adult or juvenile? Tank's a bit too cold for gouramis; try nudging the temp up a degree or two a day until it settles around 78, see if that boosts activity. In the meantime, look really close for any raised scales. Easiest way to see that is by looking head to tail or tail to head, so you can see any scales beginning to push away from the body. Raised scales always an obvious and bad symptom of dropsy. Hope that helps.

Definitely abnormal behavior. Is this an adult or juvenile? Tank's a bit too cold for gouramis; try nudging the temp up a degree or two a day until it settles around 78, see if that boosts activity. In the meantime, look really close for any raised scales. Easiest way to see that is by looking head to tail or tail to head, so you can see any scales beginning to push away from the body. Raised scales always an obvious and bad symptom of dropsy. Hope that helps.

I am pretty sure he is a juvenile. I went out and picked up a heater tonight and will do as you advised to. No raised scales noted thus far.

Back
Top Bottom