Dwarf neon rainbow tail chewed on

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Potluck

Aquarium Advice Addict
So another one has suffered an attack from a fish in my tank that thinks tail fins are yummy, but this time it's one of my more expensive fish a Dwarf neon rainbow, one if the tips is bit off and I know I have to do something or he will get bullied and end up dying, but I do not have a quarantine tank established nor do I have a place to put one unless I put it upstairs in my room where it gets 105 degrees which would be a bad idea, what other option can I do so that he can heal and grow his tail back and how long does it usually take?

Seems like every time I feed Hikari frozen blood worms my fish get aggressive, I'm going to keep the light on because they really don't attack with the light on but it doesn't make sense I have all peaceful fish.

Water parameters are as usual perfect
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 15-20
Ph 7.4-7.5
Take temp was warmer today cause of the heat but it was not too bad at 81° fareignheight

Can I get a big breeder box and put him in that inside of my tank? Or do I need to medicate him as well?

You need to find out who the culprit is and rehome it or return to the lfs. No one will be safe and it will keep happening. Isolation for the victim will help and just keep your water as clean as possible.

Relax potluck,
If all the problem is but a nipped tail fin tip no big deal. It will probably heal up fine by itself.
If the perpetrating fish is another neon rainbow you might consider adding 2 or 3 more of them to spread out the aggression. Rainbows are low waste fish and the addition probably won't amount to a notable change in the water parameters.
Even if the offending fish is not another rainbow, the addition will still dilute the aggression.
You ought to see what my African cichlids do to each other occasionally, but they heal up and are thriving.
Good luck.

You need to find out who the culprit is and rehome it or return to the lfs. No one will be safe and it will keep happening. Isolation for the victim will help and just keep your water as clean as possible.
It's the 4 year old turquoise rainbow I have I do believe he's the only one that I see chasing the other fish, the tetras did establish their territory when I first introduced the dwarfs to the tank but I haven't seen anything so far, he was fine yesterday 5 min before I added the blood worms came back 30 min later and half of his tail fin is gone. My water is clean as far as parameters but that didn't mean there's not something else I can't test for in the tank so I'm gonna do 2 20% a week

What other species do you have in your aquarium.
Ornate tetras, lemon tetras, 6 rainbows of different kinds, 2 bosemans, 2emeralds, 1 irani red, 1 turquoise, and 3 juvenile clown loaches, going to add another turquoise and an irani red when my lfs has them out of quarantine

Relax potluck,
If all the problem is but a nipped tail fin tip no big deal. It will probably heal up fine by itself.
If the perpetrating fish is another neon rainbow you might consider adding 2 or 3 more of them to spread out the aggression. Rainbows are low waste fish and the addition probably won't amount to a notable change in the water parameters.
Even if the offending fish is not another rainbow, the addition will still dilute the aggression.
You ought to see what my African cichlids do to each other occasionally, but they heal up and are thriving.
Good luck.
I'm aware of what convicts do as I had 2 but the male killed the female so I just have the male but that's a big difference between a 4"convict and a 3/4 inch baby Dwarf rainbow, yes rainbows are hardy fish but he is just a baby that was bought for me by my roommate when I had to euthanize one of my irani reds because of a genetic defect.

Also what is worrying me is if the other part gets ate the tail won't grow back from what I read as if the tail is missing it won't regrow

Worse today that yesterday both tips are gone can I just get a breeder box and put him in it inside of my tank? Or should I go get a 10 gallon tank, a pump air stone and make a qt tank?

Okay awesome you know the culprit. Someone wrote add one or two more rainbows this is a good idea. You do have quite a few fish but the addition of one or two more might not hurt.

If it gets worse quarantine him or look to trade for something else no use in one fish ruining a community no matter how beautiful he is. The 10gal is a good idea he will still enjoy it in there.

If it gets worse quarantine him or look to trade for something else no use in one fish ruining a community no matter how beautiful he is. The 10gal is a good idea he will still enjoy it in there.
I was gonna set up a 10 gal qt tank for him until his tail grew back, but just had my roommate go get a breeder net, my lfs said try that if it doesnt work or if he gets worst bring both back and they will give something else, it's only the males that get picked on until they actually get bigger, this guy's only like 3/4 "long, my 4 year old turquoise that's huge already killed a beautiful male emerald (I think not sure) thinking if I get him a female he'll calm his grumpy butt down but maybe not.

Breeder box. Unless you are also up to cycling a new QT tank.
Just had my roommate go pick up a large breeder net for him, my lfs said if I don't think they are going to be compatible bring them back they will replace with something else, but the thing is I don't think size matters as my big male emerald was killed overnight can't say it was a bully (big turquoise but not certain) but I believe it was. Or he injured himself as I found him wedged between branches of drift wood.

I'll take a close up pic of him once I get him in the breeder that way we can rule out fin and tail rot but I see nothing as far as external signs.

Don't think he's going to make it I literally could catch him with my hand, he almost died in the net but came back to in the breeder, wtf it's going on with my tank grrrr

Here's some pics as best I could trying to take them through the mesh

How can something so beautiful to me cause things like this
4aa45d821baea5e2de03feb3dff565d4.jpg
8679e9eab5f4f8671fba31fbbc923385.jpg
65de097380f8d088383a8f496989a7c6.jpg

468eab2bfcf7f37e163fb69795507aad.jpg

If your lone turquoise rainbow male is the culprit buying two or three female turquoise females might be the best solution. I'm sure the big turquoise is one of your centerpiece fish.
Hope your neon pulls through.

I'm seriously just considering calling it quits, all this time money effort and I can't achieve anything because I have a jerk in my tank which has happens to be one of my centerpiece, all the rainbows will be the light of the tank, I got these as a gift cause I was bummed out about the emerald and the irani just to have him get his tail bit off

I had to rehome a Bosemani once. We called him Butthead fish. He picked on everyone.

I had to rehome a Bosemani once. We called him Butthead fish. He picked on everyone.
I'm not sure if it's him or the lemons as they try to nip fins on other fish constantly, I hope it's them as im not so attached to them as I am the turquoise as he's one of my first fish I got, I need to set up a camera to watch and see who's doing what lol

Unfortunately woke up today and found him dead in the breeder, I'm taking the female back as I dint want just one Dwarf neon, gonna lay off replacement until I can find the bully.

Back
Top Bottom