Dwarf Puffer Dying...Old Age

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joeynuna

Aquarium Advice Regular
Relocated to St. Louis with job. From NYC and soon
Not looking for any responses. Just wanted to write.

My Dwarf Puffer, Sammy, is dying. No parasites, no disease, just old age. I've had him about 2 years and he was full grown when I got him. Their life span is about 2-4 years.

He lives in a 10 gallon tank in my kitchen and we have coffee every morning. Well, I have coffee and he has a bloodworm.

I love all my fish but Sammy is special. I'm just spending the evening hanging out with him.

These fish are something special once you keep them for a few weeks. They become part of your family once you keep them for several months. Sorry bud.

My sympathy. They do get to you. Whoever says that fish do not have personalities or do not recognize their keeper has not kept fish!

Sorry to hear that... :(
But it surprises me that Sammy is dying of old age... usually DPs live 5+ years in an established, cycled aquarium with proper maintenance and feeding.

Sorry to hear that... :(
But it surprises me that Sammy is dying of old age... usually DPs live 5+ years in an established, cycled aquarium with proper maintenance and feeding.

Maxwellag,

Life span for DP's is typically 2-4 years. My buddy who got me into DP's had life spans ranging from 2 years to one that lasted almost 8. Similar to humans it's only a general life span. Some of us reach 75-80 while others live to 95 and up. It's all in the genes.

Sammy is well taken care of, just slowing down. I've had him 2 years and he was full grown when I got him so I really don't know his age. He is at least 3 but probably older.

He's hanging in there.

They are so small. You probably need a really good regular camera or a macro camera.

Sorry to hear that, bud. Just getting into DP's myself. I hope you continue to keep them! Hang in there, Sammy.

Back
Top Bottom