Dwarf Puffer Fish, "sunkin in belly"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SWerner13

Aquarium Advice Freak
I went to a friends house for lunch today and noticed they had gotten a fish tank. Its about 2-3 gallons and its one of the "cutesy" kits you can get from a fish store. She has a dwarf puffer in the tank and has had it in there by itself for about 2 months. When looking at it I noticed it seems almost skinny and has a sort of shrunken in back half of the main body. What do think is causing this? She said she feeds it flake food and that it eats it. Is it because they need other foods such as snails or brine shrimp? She doesn't have a test kit so I couldn't look at the parimeters but she says she does about 30-40% water changes every week. What do you guys think? I told her I would look into it for her.

I would say it's the feeding for sure. Most people don't even feed dwarf puffers flake foods. They are predators and need their meaty foods. Tell them to start feed the puffer things like blood worms, live snails, and other meaty foods.

I have never heard of anyone selling snails though? well not small feeder snails anyway. I guess I'll recommend that she switch the meaty foods.

There are tons of people that sell snails online from their planted aquariums. the snails get out of control so they remove them and sell them. They are perfect sizes for dwarf puffers.

You might want to consider checking its mouth sometimes they have to have their teeth trimmed.

Sounds good I'll just give her my snails as I collect them and otherwise tell her to switch foods.

Hmm I'll have to give it another look before I suggest anything like that. As far as I know the puffer only eats flake food so it may just need a bit of protein in its diet. I'll keep ya'll updated after I offer it a snail or two.

Back
Top Bottom