Dying Betta....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OmarAtef

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi

My male betta "Tofy" is in need of serious help here

In the past 4 days I was noticing a change in his behavior and that his face is always white because of stress, and he was swimming in a weird way so I thought it was swim bladdder, So I stopped feeding him since then, I only put a thawed pea for him and he didn't eat any of it at all.

And then I performed a 100% water change and put 2 of those chlorine conditioner things, Also I boiled all the ornaments and decorations too.

Then I noticed that his fins are getting torn and stringy so I said for sure that it was fin rot, So I increased the temprature to 27C (82F) and went to the local bet store to get aquarium salt, but the guy gave me some sort of solution called "silx", any way it sais that it's for torn fins and bacterial infections etc...
The written dosage is a drop for every 2 liters of water, so I did.(Still not feeding him)

Then the day before yesterday I kept watching him, and he was getting a bit normal so I fed him a very tiny piece of freeze dried food at night.

Shockingly Before I went to bed yesterday I was checking on him, and found a big part of his fin turned totally black, Like the color was removed from it, Literally, I increased the temp to 29C (85F) and put 3 drops of that medication and went to sleep.

So I woke up today and found that the black spot has dramatically Increased and the fins look a lot worse, and the guy is just acting crazy and trying to hide in the ornaments.

What should I do??

He lives in 2.5 gallon bowl with a heater, I perform regular tap water 100% changes and add chlorine conditioner before putting the fish back in.

Please help ASAP, It's getting worse real quick now.

image.php

Keep on doing water changes this will decrease the harmful bacteria in the tank use aquarium salt to help heal the wound and then us something like fungus guard by Tetra or water conditioner like stress coat this will help speed up the healing process I would also recommend taking all gravel and ornements out of the tank leave it bear bottom

Let the water temp decrease a couple degrees. Often higher temps increase parasite or bacteria lifecycle /growth.

Is there an air bubbler to add additional O2 to the water? Raising the heat reduces the amount of available O2 for the fish. So he needs plenty of 02 for healing.

Do not know of/or about the additives the store told you to add. Does it say what the active ingredients and amount of them are?

His darting behavior sounds like possible water parameter issue like Nitrate or Nitrites (but you have been changing the water) or parasite. Do you see any tiny worms / bugs (fish lice) on scales in between scales, in gills, eyes, mouth or anal vent? You might need a magnifying glass (at least I might).

Back
Top Bottom