Dying discus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RetroHavoc

Aquarium Advice Newbie
6 months ago I bought 6 discus online, now one by one they’re all dying
Water parameters all zero

The first two were runts and now I lost the second biggest one

They’re in a 55 gallon tank bare bottom

Filter: sun sun canister filter

I recently started feeding them some frozen blood worms but they didn’t like them so I went back to the food they loved. Shrimp scallops and Tilapia.
Please help

I do a 50% every week
Using api test drops
Temp 84f
Ph is high don’t know specific

I do a 50% every week
Using api test drops
Temp 84f
Ph is high don’t know specific

Discus prefer soft, acidic water.
Small discus should be receiving 50% daily water changes and high feedings to be at there healthiest.

0 nitrates is a concern. Are you performing the test exactly as the directions state? with a single 50% water change and a cycled tank there is no way your NO3 is at 0

Zero huh? That dirty *** canister filter is not helping anything. Sponge filters are the go-to with discus. Buying poor stock doesn't help either. What size were they when you got them? Post some pics. I keep wild discus in tap water. They're fine. It's all about cleanliness and feedings.

If that canister filter was dirty he wouldn't be reading 0 nitrates. I'm thinking the tank isn't cycled.

Lol. I know as much as you do claiming the nitrates are high and his canister is dirty. I think Z asked and is waiting for the answer on the accuracy of the test the OP used.

Usually nitrates read high on the API test kit when it isn't done right not 0 in my experience.

Or OP tested and took a reading straight away expecting an immediate color change (not waiting it out for 5 mins of so).

Back
Top Bottom