Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-23-2019, 02:34 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Question dying fish and red looking algae?

Good morning,

My father has been having a big problem (big as in fish are dying) lately. He's always had guppies die as the over populate so he recently got some cichlids to even it out. However, lately we've noticed these red algae looking things on his heater, decor, and filter. Its slowly been growing. At first we thought it was red slime algae but my dad read that it only effects saltwater tanks and my dads a freshwater. Now we wouldn't be so worried, however the fish are acting weird. They seem to be breathing rapidly, sucking in as much water as they can, plus staying in one position or sitting on the bottom. His pleco died a few days ago (though he was possibly 6+ years old) And just yesterday after one of his cichlids showed those same symptoms the day before just passed away as well. Along with possibly 3-4 guppies. I'm really worried and he's stumped. He also has 3 nitrate snails which are doing very well.

Should we be worried?
Is it the odd algaes fault?
and what can we do?

Tags
algae, dyi, dying, dying fish, fish, red

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com