dying fish and red looking algae?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SofiraCloud

Aquarium Advice Newbie

Good morning,

My father has been having a big problem (big as in fish are dying) lately. He's always had guppies die as the over populate so he recently got some cichlids to even it out. However, lately we've noticed these red algae looking things on his heater, decor, and filter. Its slowly been growing. At first we thought it was red slime algae but my dad read that it only effects saltwater tanks and my dads a freshwater. Now we wouldn't be so worried, however the fish are acting weird. They seem to be breathing rapidly, sucking in as much water as they can, plus staying in one position or sitting on the bottom. His pleco died a few days ago (though he was possibly 6+ years old) And just yesterday after one of his cichlids showed those same symptoms the day before just passed away as well. Along with possibly 3-4 guppies. I'm really worried and he's stumped. He also has 3 nitrate snails which are doing very well.

Should we be worried?
Is it the odd algaes fault?
and what can we do?

Back
Top Bottom