dying fish EMERGENCY!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

younghistorians

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all-
I'm not going to go into to much detail about how this happened, but here is the situation:
My Calico goldfish, purchased today, is practically dying. We had bought it, and brought it home. While adapting it to the tank, the bag was bumped, and the fish fell 4 feet to the tile floor. Its been about 1 1/2 hours since it fell, and its not doing to well. Normally, their eyes are "puffed out"...now its collapsed, and acting blind.

What can I do for it? Anything to save it?

thanks alot!

Unfortunately, there is little you can do but see how it does recover. I don't think there is a real way to perform ocular surgery that isn't more risky. Keep the lights out to reduce stress, which may help.

Its possible the fall caused internal injuries; its happened before. Atm I would keep him in the cleanest water possible, and keep the lights off. The less stress the better. Don't even bother feeding him for a day or 2; its likely he won't eat and it will keep the food from rotting in the tank.

Also, I'm going to move this to FW Unhealthy Fish Forum.

Oh awesome younghistorians!

Have a coupla kudos, not only for saving the fish, but for letting us know how things are going :)

That is great news. Keep up the good fishy doctoring and hopefully this little guy will lead a good healthy life.

thanks folks!

update: from what it looks like, the eye is blind in the eye he fell on (left side)...he still seems to be able to eat/find food, and manage, so hopefully everything will be fine.

Im just surprised he is living, considering the fact he fell 6 feet onto a tile floor, then laid there for about a minute and a half. AMAZING!

-yh

Back
Top Bottom