Dying fish??? What to do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kyanna5

Aquarium Advice Newbie
1~What type of fish is afflicted? In addition, please describe what is wrong with the fish to the best of your ability (i.e. cotton like growth, bloated, etc.).

Goldfish oringinaly but now catfish. I'm not sure what type it is silver with black spots almost like a dalmation. They are very small

2~What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? Please give exact values.

amonia 0 nitrites 0 nitrates 0 temp 70 F ph 8.4

3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up?

it is a 10 gallon tank and has been set up for almost 2 months. it has only had fish in it for 1 month

4~What type of filtration are you using? Please give the name and number (i.e. Fluval 304) and amount of gph if known.

Aqua Tech Power Filter. It has 2 seprate filters instide and is a waterfall style. It has no number behind the name

5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes?

There was 4. 1 algey eater fish. 1 small sized Goldfish and 2 very small sized spotted catfish

6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time?

I was told to vacumm the gravel anytime there is leftover food on the bottm. I do it about every 2-3 days instead. The water I did a 40% chagange 2 days before I bought the new fish.

7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them?

I just bought all my new fish yesterday afternoon other than the algey eater which was already in the tank prior to this. I bought the new fish as well as old ones that died on me at pet co

8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.?

Nothing in last 2 weeks

9~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently?

No the pet shop said to feed all of my fish the goldfish flakes and I bought the same kind as they were feeding.

My fist fish died a month after I had bought them. One of my new catfish I just bought yesterday died today and the other one is dying now. It is turned slightly swimming as little as it can, it is also swimming with it's head facing top of tank and tail towards the bottom then it will float to the bottom of the tank belly up but if you walk past tank it will turn over and sit on the bottom belly down. All other fish in the tank seem happy and healthy. What can I do to help the dying fish and stop the rest from dying before it's to late for them all again????

What kind of a test are you using?
That is too many fish for that tank. :(
The goldfish alone needs at least 15 gallons, as long as it's not a common goldie.
Did the tank go through the nitrogen cycle before you added the fish?
I would guess the fish are dying from ammonia poisoning, and I would recommend you take them all back to the pet store, do a fishless cycle on your tank, and start over with fish that are okay for a 10 gallon tank. :(

Back
Top Bottom