Dying Platies and a Clown Pleco

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So I woke up this morning and the biggest female (who until this point seemed to be in the best shape) was dead. I looked closely at all of the fish - dead and alive - and I do not believe it is the camalanus worms. That just leaves one female and the clown pleco in the tank. The female seems to be doing better than she was yesterday, but I am not getting my hopes up. I continued the treatment with General Cure this morning as well. During my lunch break today I am going to go buy medicated food. Thank you to everyone who helped me.

For anyone eho wishes to know, my last living platy (who looked almost normal yesterday) is currently fully paralyzed and was getting pulled around the tank by the filter flow. I took her out and she is now floating in a small plastic cup if water, still gasping but otherwise unable to move.

I think I am going to take my pleco out and place him in a quarentine tank for a little bit and completely wipe this tank and start over. In a couple weeks, if the pleco is stl alright and disease free, then I will put him back in the tank with whatever new fish I get.

Now that I have the pleco in a quarantine tank, I can see that he is also showimg signs of the disease, namely the random paralysis. So we will see if he makes it.

How's it all going?

The pleco gas been in his little hospital tank since Sunday morning. Its hard to tell if the intermitten paralysis is getting better as he mostly hides in the single fake log in the tank. I've been continuing treatment with the General Cure and he is eating, although I have only observed a very little bit of white stringy waste at the bottom of the tank (though there could be more in or under his log). I'm using a sponge filter with no carbon in that tank. Luckily I had some gravel in a stocking foot in my healthy 5g tank filter from when I first set that tank up a few months ago so I was able to put that in the hospital tank filter to help prevent spikes as well. I'm hoping he will pull through since he is still eating and he does move to hide when I move the external light source around (no hood light on this tank).

Thank you for all your help and concern!

And it looks like my hope for the little clown pleco was possibly premature. He didn't eat last night and he is not responding very much anymore when I shine the external light into his log. I know that, when I treated my betta with General Cure, he became incredibly lethargic. So I am crossong my fingers that that is also the case for my pleco, but my hopes aren't high.

So the clown pleco appears to have fully recovered from the internal parasite issue. He swims normally again and eats, though not with any regularity. Unfortunately this morning I turned the outside light on for his tank and the unmistakable shimmer of velvet was on top of his head. So here we go again.

The clown pleco has died. I turned his heater up to help with the velvet, it was set at a perfect 82ºF when I went to sleep, but while I was asleep it seems to have gone out of control and boiled the poor guy to death.

Thank you everyone who supported me during this tank disaster.

The clown pleco has died. I turned his heater up to help with the velvet, it was set at a perfect 82ºF when I went to sleep, but while I was asleep it seems to have gone out of control and boiled the poor guy to death.

Thank you everyone who supported me during this tank disaster.

:( sorry for the loss.

Back
Top Bottom