Dying plecos!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jfilk

Aquarium Advice Regular
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1388711167.716458.jpg

Earlier I mover this little guy from my live bearer tank to my barb tank. Came home few hours later and now he's dead... Any ideas on how he died so quickly?

Water parameters? Most likely cause, not sure how you dealt with the transfer. Could be pH or nitrate on healthy systems.
Stress of capture? Not likely but possible. (Bony fish, very tough)
Temperature, again not likely but possible. (Major shift in temp)

Given it was a couple of hours I would look at the water.

How was the transfer made?

Grab and dunk, half bucket/half bucket or overnight+ quarantine?

Grab and dunk the water must be the same. (Very quick transfer)
Half and half is ok for water that is close in temperature and a difference less than .3ph. (Second half of bucket comes from new system add water slowly, may take 20-60 minutes)
Overnight plus, this change takes as long as necessary. (major changes in water)

Sorry about the fish. I've kept a lot of plecs and they are usually quite hardy, they were moved about a lot over the years as they grew and as tanks were re-sited. If it isn't anything I've mentioned above maybe illness? Did the fish look healthy, was it eating etc. how long have you had it?

Thanks for the reply an everything seems to be in order. I did do a grab an dunk because because I don't have room to do half an half or quarantine the fish. I'll start on some water changes an see if that helps at all

An I had the pleco for almost 6 months

Back
Top Bottom