Dying shrimp!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Atxpunx

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My ghost shrimp are dying off and I'm wondering if it's because of a snail boom. It's a five gallon tank originally shrimp only and two hitchhiker ramshorns have become dozens! Are the snails adding to the bio-load? Is there anything I can do? The ghost shrimp are from walmart and I've had them for three months. Theres who knows how many MTS in the gravel also. Thanks again for all the I've gotten since I've joined this site!

Atxpunx said:
My ghost shrimp are dying off and I'm wondering if it's because of a snail boom. It's a five gallon tank originally shrimp only and two hitchhiker ramshorns have become dozens! Are the snails adding to the bio-load? Is there anything I can do? The ghost shrimp are from walmart and I've had them for three months. Theres who knows how many MTS in the gravel also. Thanks again for all the I've gotten since I've joined this site!

The first thought that came to my mind is... snails usually 'boom' due to over feeding. If you are over feeding then that can contribute to ammonia and the ammonia could be killing your shrimp. I could very easily be wrong...

Well all of my ghost shrimp died. I had eight last week and they all died the same. I was reading on another site that when ghost shrimp die with a milky white body it's from an internal parasite. Can anyone confirm that

Atxpunx said:
Well all of my ghost shrimp died. I had eight last week and they all died the same. I was reading on another site that when ghost shrimp die with a milky white body it's from an internal parasite. Can anyone confirm that

I am really sorry to hear that. I apologize, I don't know anything abouts ghost shrimp... someone will chime in ;)

I don't think that's true.. my advice, get an assasin or 2 to lower your mts population. Try again with shrimp, but personally I hate the ghosties. There basically sold as food, so there already not in top shape. I really like amanos, and some of the smaller types of shrimp. Could have been all the snails, overfeeding, not cycled.. my money is the snails though, they'll take over if your not careful

I did have snails hanging from the shrimp when they could catch um. Right now I have just plants and snails. I'm not feeding the snails to see if they'll die off and the dead snails will fertilize the plant. I do plan on continuing water changes and on getting two assassin snails and maybe a few olive merited once this ramshorn and mts situation is taken care of.

Back
Top Bottom