Effects of maracyn on plants and fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

beto

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have an 80 gallon planted tank with discus in it and have noticed some cyanobacteria(blue/green algea) starting to grow and take over the tank. I want to treat it with maracyn, but nobody has discussed the effects it has on plants. And I am very worried about using it on my discus fish. Does anybody have any experience with this sort of problem?

i have no experience with maracyn, but do you have a QT as a possible place to put your discus while dosing meds?

Maracyn, to my knowledge, does not affect healthy fish and I know for certain it dosn't affect the biofilter [ 94% certain, atleast ].

I know discus sensitive, but unless the package says do not use on discus I do not see any problem.

I just used Maracyn2 on popeye in my male betta tank, and it did not affect all the the cycle or the other fish in the least.

I'm in the process of doing exactly the same thing beto, except in my tank its Bolivian rams and Keyhole cichlids. They don't seem to be bothered at all. The Maracyn won't affect the plants.

Send BrianNY a PM and double check on the combo of discus and Maracyn as he's our discus guru. I know he also had a prob with cyano in his discus tank, but he did the blackout treatment for 5 days. I don't know if the tank was planted tho.

I doubt it will have any negative effect on the discus, as its used in the treatment of bacterial infections in fish including discus, but it will likely kill off your bacterial colony. That may not be as much a prob if the tank is well planted.

Keep in mind (and I fortunately found this out right off the bat) you want to remove as much of that cyano as you can before it starts dying and really messing up the water parameters.

Back
Top Bottom