Elephant fish withinjury...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kukerdan

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just put a big royal knife in the tank,he is much larger than the elephant fish, and the store owner, who i trust, and who knows what he is talking about, assured me the knife fish wasnt aggressive, but may eat small fish that could fit in his mouth, (like any large fish)
After getting used to the tank, and scaring everything except my goby with its presence, the knife fish kinda just swam around for a while, i come back from work, and my GF had left me a note on my computer, that the knife fish and the elephant fish got in a war over the elephant fishes cave, and that when the elephant fish came out to eat, he had a big deep scrape/cut type injury. Sure enough i went out to the tank, to see my elephant fish, looking very pissed, hovering in mid water, i looked at his side, and on one side he did have a flesh wound... and the knife fish was wedged in all crazy angles to fit in the elephant fishes cave, which he is MUCH to big for. The elephant fish is very proud of his house, and shocks any other fish that come near, so i guess this is what my GF ment by the "war", the Elephant even dragged a sprouting bulb to his house once and he now has a big plant growing in it... So i moved out this root hiding place thing, and adjusted the opposite cave *same as the elephant fishs) on the other side of the tank, to be one big cave, and i put a plant in there, and blocked up the elephants cave so only he could get in, and they both seem to be content with their homes.... My question is... did the knife fish bite him? or did he swim in to somthing and injure him self? its right in the middle of his body on his side... should i quaritine him? or leave him alone? do you the the knife bit him? ?????????????? he swam over and hoverd next to the knife when i was fixing his house... so i dont think he is scared of him?

A few things could have happened. During the war, the elephant fish may have gotten hurt against his own cage, or could have been bitten. I don't know much about either fish.
I would QT the hurt fish and monitor it closely. Watch for signs of secondary infection, such as bacterial or fungal growth. Also, you need to make sure the would is healing properly and that the fish doesn't reinjure itself.

Try a pvc pipe for the knife fish and see if it likes that as a cave.

Elephant fish and knife fish both use electrical signals to navigate and find food. Two elephant fish in the same tank will really get on one anothers nerves since their electrical signals will interfere with each other. This is problably true with an elephant fish and a knife fish also.

savga - I agree - I've heard that you shouldnt keep more than one fish like that in a tank together unless is is fairly large... although in the 90 Gallon which they're in, it shouldn't be a problem...

kukerdan - how many different cave areas are there for them to live in? maybe if you offered plenty of choices, they wouldn't be quareling over that one place...?

ive set up the tank with MANY hiding places, some large enough for multiple fish.... i have a large root structure, an identicle coarel reef cave on each side of the tank, (this is what ephaflant lives in) one of those multicolored cave thingys, a fake panther skull (both of these the shrimp love) lots of plants around all the spots, a sunken ship.... and i re arragned the unoccupied cave, i pulled it away from the wall, put a peice of curved PVC tube leading from it into the roots, and plants all around, andthe knife fish seems like like this, but he keeps wandering back and forth to the other one, i think it likes being cramped up, smaller tube?
I was thinking maybe he likes ephaflants cave beacause theres a large live plant growing there that the EN planted him self! (smart fish) i was thinking the only solution was to rearrange the tank, but ephaflant worked so hard on his house...... should i re-arrange?

Back
Top Bottom