Emergency

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishlover3578

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Found guppy In filter pulled him out he is barely alive still has find should I wait to see if he recovers or euthanize ... So said he was my favorite of free feeder guppies given to me

If he already looks like there isn't much life left to him then it's probably best to not let him suffer anymore sorry to say

I think he's already gone and in concerned some guppies might be ettig fin rot I just did 50% water change yesterday I 29 gal

I would seperate them ALL to a different tank regardless IMO because if one got in the filter they could all get in there and the last thing you want is a bunch of dead fry.
Otherwise, I'd consider getting a sponge to go around your filter intake ASAP.

The one that died wasn't a very small fry I seen much smaller fry swim around it just fine this one was maybe half a inch long

I just did nylon hose a rout filter intake thug the whole part so no guppy can get sucked in or stuck in

You would be surprised how many fish, of many sizes, end up in filters. They are not super star bright and don't always manage to avoid going up the tube. So the net is a good thing, and a sponge is even better.

You can buy sponge prefilters made for the purpose. You can also make them yourself. A sponge intended for filter media, like one for an Aquaclear filter, just an example, can be cut to a size that works. You can use a knife or scissors to hollow out a bit of the middle, until it will slide onto the uptake tube.
I've seen a good suggestion, forget who posted it. He wets the sponge, freezes it, uses a drill to make the hole. If you have tools to do that, you'd get a nice even hole. But if you do not, the scissors or knife will work, just do a bit at a time, as you need it snug enough that it will stay in place.

I've made them about two inches square, and two or three inches long, with the hole in the middle, more or less. Don't make the hole go all the way through to the other end, or it defeats the purpose of having the prefilter.

You take it off and give it a good squeeze out in tank water every few days so it won't slow down the filter or get too clogged.

There are other sponges, from dept. stores, but many have anti fungal chemicals or soap in them. If you try one of those be sure it hasn't got anything in it that could harm fish. They also often are very fine pored, which means they will get clogged very quickly. So I think the filter sponge is a better bet. You know it is safe, and not so finely pored.

Yea I am putting some sort of sponge on my filter, I saw some at petsfart that where like 1 dollar
My balloon belly Molly got in my filter, how does that even happen

Back
Top Bottom