EMERGENCY Crazy pH Reading

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jaydizzle707

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I upgraded from a 20g to a 29gal and all of a sudden my pH is OVER 8.8 my api test kit is DARK Purple so it has to be over 8.8. What can I do to bring this down

Normally its around 7.8, the taps ph is around 7.2 in my old 20g but in this new 29g i added new soil covered by my old sand substrate plus new sand. Took out some of my old rocks. Its basically my old stuff plus a little bit of new things

Jaydizzle707 said:
Normally its around 7.8, the taps ph is around 7.2 in my old 20g but in this new 29g i added new soil covered by my old sand substrate plus new sand. Took out some of my old rocks. Its basically my old stuff plus a little bit of new things

What kind of sand? What kind of soil? What kind of rocks? Some rocks/sand will raise the hardness and pH. I would take all the new rocks out and soak them in containers of water. Test the pH daily and see if it rises. If it does, discard the rock.
For now do a 25% water change and another one the next day to help bring it down. You don't want to change it too fast though.

Back
Top Bottom