Emergency - gourami bloated and discolored

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Austin.b

Aquarium Advice Addict
Lease help my favourite gourami is extremely bloated and half of his body is DARK he seems extremely disorientated!! Am so do all my other fish! I'm going to do a PWC right now almost all oft fish are like slow moving. Help!!!!

I cannot check parameters right now, I ran out of strips!! N I was out of town, I think my brother overfed! I'm extremely scared and freaking out!

Nu-Nu the eel said:
Wow that is bloated. What did you feed him??

My bro fed him alot! Aghhh he fed a teaspoon of blood worms(freeze dried) n mysis shrimp (FD) and some pellets!! Aghh!! What's wrong with the color!!!!

Austin.b said:
I cannot check parameters right now, I ran out of strips!! N I was out of town, I think my brother overfed! I'm extremely scared and freaking out!

When you go to get a new test kit, go ahead and get a liquid one, the strips are extremely inaccurate. I recommend API master test kit. Your best bet is to do a precautionary pwc. (It can't hurt) and wait it out, not a whole lot you can do, well besides not feed him anymore for a few days. You also might try feeding peas (in a few days), its like laxatives for fish, it cleans them out.

Do not feed him anything other than a small bit of blanched deshelled crushed pea. He sounds/looks constipated from too much food/protein. Water changes will help too by reducing stress from high levels. I would like to suggest you buy a liquid test kit. They are far more accurate than strips. How long where you away for? If it was less than 10 days the fish could have gone without feeding during that time.

00youknowit00 said:
When you go to get a new test kit, go ahead and get a liquid one, the strips are extremely inaccurate. I recommend API master test kit. Your best bet is to do a precautionary pwc. (It can't hurt) and wait it out, not a whole lot you can do, well besides not feed him anymore for a few days. You also might try feeding peas (in a few days), its like laxatives for fish, it cleans them out.

Ok I'll get a liquid test kit, thanks and I'll feed peas tomm thank you

Ya thats ALOT of food for some small fish like that. If they start to float to the top and need to swim down so they dont reach the tip then its bad news......

Like carey said, probably constipated.. You need fish safe pepto bismol

Mumma.of.two said:
Do not feed him anything other than a small bit of blanched deshelled crushed pea. He sounds/looks constipated from too much food/protein. Water changes will help too by reducing stress from high levels. I would like to suggest you buy a liquid test kit. They are far more accurate than strips. How long where you away for? If it was less than 10 days the fish could have gone without feeding during that time.

Ok I'll feed peeled peas tomm thank you, I was gone for 6 days

00youknowit00 said:
Fish can go a long time without food, just curious, but what if your normal feeding regimen?

A teaspoon of either blood worms, mysis shrimp, or 3 pinches of pellets, do you know why his color changed? Maybe bec. Of stress?

Nu-Nu the eel said:
Ya thats ALOT of food for some small fish like that. If they start to float to the top and need to swim down so they dont reach the tip then its bad news......

Like carey said, probably constipated.. You need fish safe pepto bismol

None of my fish are like that thank goodness but the gourami is just floating around

Austin.b said:
A teaspoon of either blood worms, mysis shrimp, or 3 pinches of pellets, do you know why his color changed? Maybe bec. Of stress?

Stress and the fact his internal organs will be getting crushed from the pressure. Try feeding blood worms or mysis shrimp once a week, pellets every other day except one. Fast on the last day. It's also a good idea to feed a pea once a week. Too much protein (blood worms/shrimp) isn't good for them and will cause bloat.

Mumma.of.two said:
Stress and the fact his internal organs will be getting crushed from the pressure. Try feeding blood worms or mysis shrimp once a week, pellets every other day except one. Fast on the last day. It's also a good idea to feed a pea once a week. Too much protein (blood worms/shrimp) isn't good for them and will cause bloat.

Ok I'll make a schedule for feeding thanks

Back
Top Bottom