Emergency help! Tank invaders

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sandrago

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Have just emptied my fry mesh tank into my 10 gallon with a new divider. Fry getting big. A few hours later i checked on fry and noticed very very small white threads. With a closer look...they are white worms! And while looking around i also found very small creatures similar to tadpols with shorter tails and curled antennae. These dart around. They are everywhere! The only thing ive done lately is buy a few plants from petsmart about 2 weeks ago. What are these? Will they kill or hurt my fish and fry? What can i do to get rid of them? The worms cling to the side of the tank and the creatures dart around i am not mistaking these darting creatures with fry. The other fish dont seem to notice so they arent trying to eat them. Please help

boadams87 said:
They are called hydra. You brought them in from somewhere. Your fish should eat them.

Not hydra, hydra are benthic. They are like anemone and don't swim. Freshwater Copepods maybe.

The white worms are likely planaria. They and Copepods are evidence of overfeeding.

I did some research. They are definitly copepods and planera. I am quilty of overfeeding the fry. Read that they require much more than adults. I will clean the tank soon. Now that i have a divider in there the adults should start eating these things. Fry probably have another month till i can take divider out. Im kinda glad they are there. Im sure the fish enjoy hunting and chasing them.

Back
Top Bottom