Emergency platy with eggs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lesley McNeill

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My platy had fry in February. Tonight I looked at her and she had a very large clump of eggs hanging from underneath her. I caught her and gently took some off her but there is still a lot and I can't get a good look at her. She is quite a jumpy fish. What do I do with her? This is just after midnight now in Scotland. Her mate would be a swordtail. The eggs looked like they were empty, nothing was formed inside them. she is a big fish and didn't look like she was pregnant.

Thanks in advance.

My platy had fry in February. Tonight I looked at her and she had a very large clump of eggs hanging from underneath her. I caught her and gently took some off her but there is still a lot and I can't get a good look at her. She is quite a jumpy fish. What do I do with her? This is just after midnight now in Scotland. Her mate would be a swordtail. The eggs looked like they were empty, nothing was formed inside them. she is a big fish and didn't look like she was pregnant.

Thanks in advance.

Platy have live babies so that is odd.

I had a platy who gave birth to two rounds of healthy fry but when I was expecting a third I had a similar experience. I found eggs in the breeder trap the next morning but my platy was fine. She acted normally and didn't have any health issues. I think that what happened was a premature birth. I'm not sure if this is what is happening to you but if it is I wouldn't be concerned.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

I read somewhere that sometimes they miscarry or spontaneously "abort" for lack of a better word. Maybe that is what you see and not eggs since, as you know, they are live bearing.

Back
Top Bottom