Emergency - sick oranda

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Betty is swimming around energetically, but she still hasn't eaten anything. I even tried to bribe her with brine shrimp. She gets her second antibiotic shot tomorrow.

Sent from my HTC first using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Fantastic news that Betty is swimming around happily.

Maybe she isn't eating as out of sorts from the move to a quarantine tank? My second lot of fancy goldfish wouldn't eat the first week after their move.

Please keep us posted :)

She isn't going to be quite as happy tomorrow when she gets her second antibiotic shot. I have to give it to herself by myself. They showed me how to do it but I am quite apprehensive.

Glad to hear she's improving! Do you know what they gave you? Shots are easier than they sound. Easiest place is in the muscle along sides of the dorsal fin towards the tail. Slip the needle under the scale if possible or it will be pulled off. Keep an eye on the injection sites as they are prone to fungus. Try offering her some defrosted bloodworms, too.

He gave me Baytril.

Great stuff. Its prescription-only which is why he did not charge you anything (this would be illegal if he did....). Did he by chance weigh your fish? Baytril should be dosed via weight but I am assuming he was familiar with it sufficiently to be able to provide an accurate dose. It should be dosed in two to three separate doses, 48hrs apart. Hopefully, he gave you an insulin-size syringe (.4mm needle) for injections. Please ask if you need help!

Yes, he provided a syringe but I do not know what size as I have not opened the package yet. I looked at a couple of goldfish sites and watched a YouTube video and they all showed giving the injection in the side right near the end of the dorsal fin. I am going to do it that way instead of the way he showed me.

Betty is very active but still has not eaten. I cannot see through the container to see how well the ulcers are healing. I will investigate them when I give her the shot.

Yes, he provided a syringe but I do not know what size as I have not opened the package yet. I looked at a couple of goldfish sites and watched a YouTube video and they all showed giving the injection in the side right near the end of the dorsal fin. I am going to do it that way instead of the way he showed me.

Yes, this the way I give most injections. Into the muscle along the dorsal fin towards the tail. Just make sure you are only pushing the needle into the muscle and not beyond this (don't know what gauge the needle is). Let us know how she's doing!

It was a short, very thin needle.I believe it was an insulin needle? I actually did the injection. I can't see much of the ulcers already. Now I just have to get her to eat. I have tried spirulina pellets daphnia, brine shrimp, and her normal diet. I don't have any blood worms. Tonight, I will try some broccoli. I have some Pro-Gold coming, but it has been delayed by the snow storm.

How long should I keep her quarantined once her sores are gone?

The new fish are
doing well. I don't have charcoal in the filter yet because of the treatments. My white one had a little red spot on her head and the top of her tail. This was the third and final treatment of Maracyn Plus and the red spots are gone. I have changed 75% of the water everyday. I wait 15 minutes between water additions. I have them in the 38 quart and this morning did my usual 75% water change and after it had circulated for awhile, I did another 50%, because the ammonia was way out of control. All of those fish are eating well.

After I change the water tomorrow, I will treat with the Praziprol for parasites. Then the new ones are done.

Betty - JLK

Betty is in fine shape. There are no more ulcers. She is swimming happily around in her container. Unfortunatley, no matter what I offer, she will not eat. I even ordered Jump Start and she won't touch it. Daphnia, brine shrimp, fruits and vegetables Spirulina pellets. I am worried that she will not eat until she gets put back in the big tank, yet she should be in quarantine another week.

JLK, I pulled an old reef trick and put a little garlic in with some daphnia. I am pretty sure she ate a bit of it.

It seems to stimulate appetite in most fish and helps build a healthy immune system. There is a lot of disagreement about whether it can treat or prevent parasites. Studies are being still being performed.

There are a lot of garlic additives out there and many are fortified with extra vitamins. Personally, I just buy a jar of finely minced garlic in it's own oils and soak the food in just a small amount of it.

I had reef tanks for many years and can attest to the fact that it stimulates appetite. For some reason fish love it.

It seems to stimulate appetite in most fish and helps build a healthy immune system. There is a lot of disagreement about whether it can treat or prevent parasites. Studies are being still being performed.

There are a lot of garlic additives out there and many are fortified with extra vitamins. Personally, I just buy a jar of finely minced garlic in it's own oils and soak the food in just a small amount of it.

I had reef tanks for many years and can attest to the fact that it stimulates appetite. For some reason fish love it.

+1
Great information! Garlic's health benefits are numerous although it has not been extensively studied in fish. In addition to appetite stimulation, it has anti-inflammatory properties and mild antibacterial properties. In far east (China, ,Japan,Thailand, etc), it's believed to carry anti parasitic properties and is commonly used in aquaculture. It's not a miracle medicine but it can beneficial to health (of both humans and fish) when incorporated into a nutritious diet. :)

Back
Top Bottom