EMERGENCY:<Sick Von Rio> Help with diagnosis before it's too late? (Lots of info.)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I know what youre going thru. I have a thread about my cichlid with swim bladder. Mine isnt spazzing out or anything he just can't keep afloat. i hate watching him like this and knowing I can't do anything at all.

I;ve set him up in my qt 10 gallon. Even out a background on it and a few places for him to hide. I haven't noticed any decline or improvement. It's been over 3 weeks I think too.

I hope your fish gets better. Sounds like maybe he has a shot

Thank you for the replies. Bad news again.

Bad food. How long have you had your food and what type is it? Im glad your little guy is improving!
Thanks! I have been feeding them TetraMin Tropical Fish Flakes since the tank was established... (Aug '10) I still have about half the can left, but then found a brand new can of Aquenon Tropical Fish Flakes that came with something I bought for the tank. I began using both of these flakes..
Should I just ditch these two and buy a new can of fish food?

I know what youre going thru. I have a thread about my cichlid with swim bladder. Mine isnt spazzing out or anything he just can't keep afloat. i hate watching him like this and knowing I can't do anything at all.

I;ve set him up in my qt 10 gallon. Even out a background on it and a few places for him to hide. I haven't noticed any decline or improvement. It's been over 3 weeks I think too.

I hope your fish gets better. Sounds like maybe he has a shot

Thanks for the reply, Carey. Unfortunately, my hopes have again dropped for the little guy. I swear yesterday he was barely listing at all, but today his condition is declining. He is now back to listing a lot. No thrashing, but he looks worse than yesterday. I am going to feed the tank peas again and see what happens tomorrow.

Any other suggestions? Should I toss my fish flakes and buy something new? If so, do you have a specific suggestion? Thanks in advance!

Mine will now only eat the peas. Won't touch the NLS I just went out and bought.

have you added epsom salts to the water? I was told it helps with buoyancy?

No, I haven't added anything to the water. I just fed them the peas... they will only eat them if they are really hungry. I will do a water change in a little while, the peas get pretty messy and I'm trying to keep the water super clean anyway. I usually do a 40% PWC every week, but I'm doing a few extra water changes to help the sick fish. (Even though water quality has never been an issue.)
I might be able to go to the pet store today, so again, should I pick up some new food?

Thanks guys.

I just switched to New life Spectrum, it has great reviews adn everyone swears by it. You might not be able to get that locally tho. Have u tried soaking the flakes a little then dropping them? I heard they can expand in the fishs tummy when dropped in dry and cause an impedence.

I wouldn't worry too much about getting a new food right now. I would keep going with the peas. Mine ate like 6 all chopped up yesterday. But still no improvement.

You have enough food for your other fish so you should be ok. Did you ask your parents about a bucket or small qt tank? You could go really cheap on a qt and promise to take it down when he gets better. Plus you can just run a sponge filter in it u dont have to get all crazy $$ with it.

Back
Top Bottom