Epsom Salt Treament?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Magma4life

Aquarium Advice Regular
So Magma(my betta) has been swollen for some time. I've posted on here and treated for popeye with seachem kanaplex. However, even after treatment one eye was still swollen, as well as his tummy area has remained swollen for several months. I'm wanting to treat with epsom salt. My question is what's the best way to treat swollen eyes and tummies with epsom salt? Thanks in advance!

Did you remove the chemical filtration like carbon and other things you may have added during treatment?

I think 2 issues there the eye might still have a bacterial infection, and the internal belly could as well.

So medication could be needed.

As for the Epsom Salt (ES) treatment - Use plain ES no additives.

You can mix it in hot water to dissolve but ALWAYS remember to cool with tap water to tank temp and use the usual dechlorinator /chloramine treatments.

For treatment of an ill fish do a couple pwc on his tank before getting started. Then mix up the correct amount of ES for the number of gallons you have.

1 tablespoon Epsom salt per gallon of tank water for treating illness.

Remove the amount of water you made the ES concentrate - 2 cups - random amount for describing.

Then add back in the cooled treated ES concentrate 1/4 at the beginning

then wait 4-8 hours and add the other 1/4, and then repeat.

i have added all the Epsom salt in a much shorter period of time before when it seemed the fish was near death without any problems. If it seems urgent you could speed it up but, less stressing the fish the better.

Number one thing is keeping the water in perfect /safe parameters. 25-50% pwc each day would be recommended.

You can calculate how much ES you need to add back in for daily pwc and make a concentrate in a water bottle, or pitcher or measuring cup. That way it is much easier to do a quick pwc every day.

Keep the treatment up for about 5 days and evaluate how it seems to be going. Is the eye better, sometimes it can be lost because of a bad infection and the fish can still be okay otherwise. How is the tummy problem?

Make sure to rinse the filter pad when doing a filter clean out gently with dechlorinated water to maintain the BB.

What size if the tank?

You can feed like normal. Do you have a lfs which raises fresh brine shrimp? Frozen and defrosted shrimp and spirulina brine shrimp, can help them and have a laxative effect and it is good to feed, healthy and they usually like it.

You can cut a frozen cube to a small portion size and defrost in a container. I like little plastic drinking cup or portion cups like sauces come in from the restaurant. You can rinse and reuse a number of times.

A new bamboo chop stick works well to dip in and it would hold a few bits and add with a little tease and fanfare to get the Betta interested. You're aiming to target the little pieces to the Betta and hope for little waste.

It is good to feed - wait a little bit and then do the water change to get leftover food and not leave it all day rotting.

decide if there isn't much improivement to use medication.

Otherwise treat with ES for 2 weeks if you see good improvement.

Then start doing the concentrate at 1 teaspoon per gallon for another week.

If the fish is better then just start doing pwc and not adding the full amount of ES back in for another week, then stop adding it back in and eventually the water will be cleaned.

Last edited:
Yes, I removed the filter pad when I medicated. The tank is 6.5 gallons. Thanks for your help! Already have the epsom salts, just a few questions from the procedure you mentioned. How much is too much water to take out when making the epsom salt treatment? Also when making the treatment, can you mix it in a tiny amount of aquarium water cause if I take out too much water from the tank, my filter stops working. Also do you restart the process if doing daily pwc? Like mixing in 6.5 tablespoons in two doses daily? Sorry if these questions are obvious, just want to make sure I understand how to do this correctly.

Any amount you chose to make up the concentrate is fine as long as you can get the ES to dissolve.

Since you likely have substrate it would probably displace 1/2 gallon of water, so just to make the calculating easier for the concentrate you could use 6G as the number when doing pwc.

side question - How do you get the pwc's done with the filter stopping? How much can you remove at one time?

If say a 1 gallon works to do a pwc -
you could do 2 pwc - 1G pwc instead of one 2G. Morning and evening.

Say 2 cups with 6.5 tablespoons ES will probably dissolve.

So when doing the daily pwc - the total amount of Epsom salts will stay at 6.5 or 6 Tablespoons in the tank. You are not adding more ES than the 1 Tablespoon per gallon, remove ES water in a pwc, replace back appropriate amount.

Does that seem to make it more clear? Let me know - even if it seems like a silly question. It always is more comfortable to "know" what you're suppose to do.

If you remove 1/2 gallon pwc, just add back in 1/2Tablespoon concentrate

Ok, yeah that does make more sense now. Thanks. I don't actually know how much water I take out cause I use a small glass fishbowl to hold the dirty water and pour the clean in, but I'll try to figure it out the next water change.

I can take out about 1/2 gallon each pwc. Also could I just do one pwc a day instead of twice a day as I'm really busy in the evenings. I plan to start the treatments on Monday because I'll be away for the weekend. Thanks again for your help.

You can add it before you go. It doesn't injure the fish not doing a water change with the ES in the tank, and the other part of treatment for those ailments is really clean water with no chance of it getting into a danger zone.

In other words of course it is up to you how you want to do it but if you did add it in before you left it could be helping the fish while you are away.

I have used this treatment many, many times over the years and only had a fish die when it was extremely ill. But have had ill fish get better and live longer lives for sure. Sometimes medication is needed.

As for getting going to be away for the weekend, I would do a very large water change like 50% then another 50%, unplug and restart your filter and set a reminder to remember to turn it back on.

Since you would be away the fish would benefit from the larger turnover of water.

And you do 2 50% pwc (instead of just 80-100%) so that the changes in new water mixing with the parameters of the old, are a little bit more gradual. Easier on the the fish which isn't feeling it's best.

Then if you have someone feed your fish while you are away, try making the servings in individual containers so the pet sitter/feeder does not over feed. Like a 7 day pill holder is a useful tool for that ( our Dollar store usually has them for a dollar).

Or the fish can go a couple days with out food usually, but an ill fish it is hard to know what its illness is caused from, and if skipping meals is going to be okay for his health or not.

Quick update: Magma seemed to be doing fine and improving a bit (slightly less swollen eye) at five days. However, I've noticed that he seems to be lying on his side and sleeping more than normal. He sometimes doesn't even wake up when I do a pwc. Should I stop the treatments or continue like normal? Thanks

Yeah Magma's doing worse in the fact that he's just laying flopped over on his side all the time. Should I treat with Kanaplex again? Treated a couple months ago with no results. Should I start today or do water changes to get all the salt out first?

I really worried he won't make it as he has started refusing to eat and he just won't move any more. Any advice?

Magma passed on last night. Thanks for all your help. Really gonna miss that little guy.

So sorry to hear that Magma passed away. I am sorry, I was gone yesterday. Yes, completely understand missing your Betta, we end up with them like a part of the family.

Back
Top Bottom