epsom salts - please advise

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've read between 1 teaspoon per quart to 1 teaspoon per 2 gallons to 1 tablespoon per gallon; unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any set ratios.

I'd start with 1 tsp/gallon first. Take some water directly from the tank and put it in a clean container. Add the epsom salts in the 1 tsp/gallon ratio (for example, a half tsp if you only have a half gallon in the container). Let the fish swim in there for 15-30 minutes. Keep an eye on em; if they appear stressed take him out after 15 mins. They should poo either during or shortly after. If he doesn't poo, and doesnt appear to be stressed, try a stronger ratio of epsom salts to water tomorrow (maybe a tablespoon per gallon). I'd do this over a course of a few days, as epsom salts not only have a laxative effect, but also reduce accumulation of fluids and if I remember correctly, your guy is somewhat swollen on the one side.

Thanks Allivymar, I'll try it. No, my betta is symetrically bloated. He's new...just got him a week ago...holes in fins, ich, hiding, not eating...poor critter. But I read Indrani987's post and you told her about the salts.

Back
Top Bottom