Erythromycin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

J. Fisher

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am considering treating my tank with Erythromycin to combat the green slime (or sheet) algae. I have heard this works well. I understand that this can also have a negative effect on the benificial bacteria colonies; killing them (or some) off. If I do this I plan to watch my amonia level very closely as well as nitrate and nitrite.

Has anyone used this method? If so how did it work for you. I am just a little leary of medicating the water when all the fish are healthy.

With erythromycin, I personally have never had a problem when using this for cyano or fish illness. Also, take any active carbon out of the tank for treatment. When i treated my tank, i took the bio-wheel out of the filter and wrapped it in damp paper towels and out it ina baggy for the duration of the treatment. Just make sure you remove as much of the cyano as possible before starting the treatment.

Yep, Erythromycin is an antibiotic effective against many gram-positive bacteria like Cyano. Most of the nitrifying bacteria in your filter's bio-media are gram-negative and will not be harmfully impacted by Erythromycin. I've used it twice on my big tank and, to this day, have not seen a scrap of BGA. I suspect there is some lingering effect that just kills the nasty stuff but I can't say that these observations are backed up by any empirical evidence. If the algae you have is not BGA then Erythromycin will have no effects on it.

From advice I got here I tried the 5-day blackout method and it worked like a charm, no more BGA! Plus it is a free fix!

humpty

Thanks for the input.

As it turned out, I halved the dose and within two days and a little cleanup the BGA is gone. No traces yet of its return. Amonia levels stayed at zero.

The blackout method was not my first choice as I fear the negative effect on the plants.

I always recommend that, if you're going to go with Erythromycin, you go the full cycle regardless of what you observe visually. BGA can hide from sight after a few days, but it can't hide from a full five-seven day treatment. Chances are it won't come back but you never know.

As to worrying about your plants being hurt in a blackout, you have nothing to worry about. If you have a plant die during a three day blackout then it was very likely to be a goner in the first place. I have never lost one due to three days of no light, and they usually snap right back within a few days. Plants are amazingly resilient where BGA and algae have very few reserves to fall back on. This is why blackouts work so well.

Glad things worked out for you and here's to no more freakin' algae :D

Back
Top Bottom