Euthanization...Hellllp...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Puriti said:
*covers mouth* ...don't.. tell me to do anything to it's head...please... *tries to keep from being sick at that imagery*

oops sorry I read that too late to stop last post. Maybe you should just let the guy live out its course in your tank. That would be my husbands opinion.

I would but if it's NTD I don't want it in with my other fish and the poor thing's starving itself T_T

I feel bad enough putting it down but it's suffering the way it is

I don't get what I have to do with the alcohol though, do I just put it straight or do I have to measure stuff ._.

Freezing is pretty simple and it is humane. You first place the fish in ice water. This will stun the fish making it unconscious. Then you freeze. The ice water is immediate.

I know this is tough for you but no method is easy. :(

T_____________T *whines* I don't wanna freeze my fishie! what if it doesn't work!? or it takes too long?! THEN I'LL FEEL WORSE!

If you don't want to take the advice, then I don't know what you're going to do. You can either A) Let the fish live it's natural life B) go buy the clove oil C) Use the Alcohol D) Freeze or E) Smash That's pretty much your options. Noone wants to kill a fish, but it's either that or let it live in suffering. You're choice. Do what's best for the fish.

i wanna use alcohol but I dont exactly KNOW how to do it - -... which is why i asked a few posts ago! >_<

I read the directions on those websites but i just DON'T GET IT!

So sorry Puriti......I'm going through a similar "euthanize" decision as well so I know it's rough but we do what we gotta do.

I know it's rough, it's just that I'm having like..moodswings right now which isn't helping. >_<

Okay...he's in it now I just gotta wait T__T

Is there a certain time period I have to leave him in there after he stops moving? Cuz he's a fighter despite he's sick...

Take a few deep breaths...breathe....breathe.... Don't watch or try to anticipate when it is over. Just leave well enough alone for now. Go take a walk, watch some TV....

If you want to be sure, wait until the fish stops moving and then put it in the freezer for an hour. Then maybe you could save up a few bucks (since your mom won't buy it for you) and buy some clove oil to have on hand, just in case. Unfortunately, if you keep fish for some time you are likely to have to euthanize one every once in a while. :( I've been there myself a couple times and it is so hard.

Fill a disposable cup with BOILING WATER and drop the fish in it. This works well for small fish such as neons! I have tried the alcohol method, freezing and have cut the heads off many fish Ive caught. Boiling water is the quickest, least traumatic for you(because there will be no dieing movements/jerks), least messy and you dont need to go buy anything.

Just make sure the water is really hot, I mean just taken off the stove, and drop the fish in right away.-then your done.

Only use this meathod for small fish like neons! Bigger fish have more tissue and it will take longer, and they may have pain for split second.

I'll just use up my grandparents whiskey...it's better for all of us. They can't have it and I can use it if need be.

Don't worry J...I watched it, I dont have much problem with that as much as you might think it's more or less if I personally had to kill it, not the drink itself. I've watched some of my other fish die, it's just the thought I have to put it down that bothers me.

He stopped moving after a whole bunch of twitching.

Thanks for the advice,I'll use it again if i have to.

I'm from the "flush it no matter what" generation and was absolutely shocked that folks had come up with humane ways to euthanize their sick fish. The first time I did it, it looked and felt weird...after having had to do it more often than I really wanted to, I have become acclimated to it. :(

I sat with a few dying fish before and I kept trying to keep them alive, it all ends the same but at least I try.

So sorry, I am a total newbie here, but when I saw this thread I had to step in, even though it may be too late. I have been in the aquarium hobby for 20+ years now, and know all about euthanizing fish. I actually researched this topic and wrote an article on it a few years ago.

DO NOT:

use alcohol: it burns their skin and gills, very cruel
boil: you are cooking them alive, cruel
freeze slowly: also painful as ice crystals form in the cells
etc etc......

The only truely humane method, for small to medium sized fish is the ice water method. I do not even turst clove oil, as I did try this once, and my fish acted like he was just dropped into acid, he freaked out and it took a long time for him to die. Another thing about clove oil, it is supposed to be an anesthetic, so if one does not leave them in it long enoguh, and then they dump them in the thrash or the toilet, they may start to breath again. It is recommended if you use this to keep them in this solution for a few hours to insure death has occured, or chop their head off after they appear dead.

Ice water: Put a small container, big enough for th fish of course, into the freezer for awhile..until a layer of thin ice has formed on the surface. Break this...catch your fish, and submerge completely and quickly. This is instantenious, as it is the SHOCK that kills him. His heart stops..he does not even feel the cold water, he dies within a sec. or two..most times I dont even see a twitch form the fish I have done this to, they just spasm into a death position, with their back curced like a "u". No pain, I promise.

For larger fish, like big cichlids and goldies, the guillitine style is the best...chop the head off. Hold the fish in a towel so you can get a good grip, leaving the head exposed. Slice with a sharp knife directly behind the gills. A steady hand and good nerves is required.

Here is a link to a more detailed essay about the topic, which I wrote:

http://bcaquaria.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1867 Also sorry for jumping in like t...will be happy. Thanks for listening. Mindy

Back
Top Bottom