Euthanizing Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fish4phil

Aquarium Advice Freak
A follow-up question to the freezing water method mentioned on the sticky

For tropical fish, freezing water until the top is frozen, breaking the surface, and putting the fish in there, would it be better to add some salt to the water? Wouldn't the water get really cold, but not freeze?

Sadly, last night I euthanized my second fish, with this method. The water was extremely cold, the entire top of the bowl of water was frozen, I used a knife to break it. The fish actually swam an inch or 2 before freezing :( I hope he didn't feel any pain.

I use very cold water on small fish also. Fish dies instantly even can't move an inch. I tried clove oil and vodka method and fish always stresses before fall in deep sleep.

The clove oil always worked well for me. You just have to add the clove oil slowly to the water so the fish doesn't sense a rapid change in water chemistry.

The freezing method actual shuts down the internal organs. Were you euthanizing a cold water fish?

I've had success both times I've used ice water.. Than again the fish was already half dead..

That's good then! But interesting I've never seen a fish cull and move that much. I will talk to my sisters fiancé. He does all the culling...

I unfortunately had to euthanize another neon tetra today. He swm around the bowl of ice cold water, all the way around the perimeter! What am I doing wrong? I used a shallow breakfast bowl, put water in it, into the freezer, after 1 hour the top was frozen, I broke the top of ice, another 15 minutes in the freezer, broke the top again, and did it. Do I need to use a bigger bowl or something?

I unfortunately had to euthanize another neon tetra today. He swm around the bowl of ice cold water, all the way around the perimeter! What am I doing wrong? I used a shallow breakfast bowl, put water in it, into the freezer, after 1 hour the top was frozen, I broke the top of ice, another 15 minutes in the freezer, broke the top again, and did it. Do I need to use a bigger bowl or something?

Same happened to my boyfriend and I with a molly, we left the water in the freezer for about 30 minutes before but she still swam then she died. Took probably 30 seconds. It was horrible. :(

Here's what your doing wrong... Your using freezing water to kill fish which is not a good method.. period. Use clove oil. Put 2 drops in a gallon the fish will slowly goto sleep. Once it is asleep you can add more clove oil to kill it or add a tab of alka seltzer which will remove the oxygen from the water. Either way the fish won't know. Freezing water is cruel and out dated.

Back
Top Bottom