Everything dies except Neon Tetras?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think it could, but i am still convinced its not the main cause.
Could you get an antibiotic?
If you want to raise your GH you can use limestone rocks in your tanks.
How low is it?
Like i said before, fish get used to whatever water they are born in.
You can look for a substrate that will raise Hardness.

GH is around 50 but ive heard mollies like very high, like 200-250?

I don't like using ABs unless I know what I'm treating - I've given 20-30 minute Methylene Blue salt baths with no avail. In fact that seemed to do more harm than good for the latest victim as she was already very weak..

do the tetras fins have a definite line of deterioration or are they ragged and torn looking?
Ragged and torn can be from exposure to high ammonia levels.

Looks pretty clean cut to me, with white edges where the fins are missing bits..

I may need to buy new test kits as mine says my tap water is off the chart with ammonia :/

Where do you live chuck?
Sounds like your water is more for Tetras and goldfish/bettas. Maybe livebearers in a seperate tank with some Substrate that is designed to increase hardness?
I bet your plants would like the soft water.

I live in Pembrokeshire, South-West Wales.. I know the water is considered relatively soft around here but I wouldn't have thought that soft..

To be honest I'd be more inclined to go for raising GH and seeing what the neons do.. They seem hardier than anything else surprisingly..
Hard to imagine the softness would cause what is clearly going to soon enough be a 100% death rate of livebearers... But I guess maybe I underestimate it..

I live in Pembrokeshire, South-West Wales.. I know the water is considered relatively soft around here but I wouldn't have thought that soft..

To be honest I'd be more inclined to go for raising GH and seeing what the neons do.. They seem hardier than anything else surprisingly..
Hard to imagine the softness would cause what is clearly going to soon enough be a 100% death rate of livebearers... But I guess maybe I underestimate it..
So hopefully I can explain why this may be!
Osmoregulation is the exchange of fluids and salts from within the fish "basically".
Fish that live in soft water by nature have more 'minerals and salts' in their bodies and expel it into the water to achieve balance...
Fish that live in hard water by nature have less 'minerals and salts' in their bodies and need to absorb it...
So a soft water fish in hard water will still be able to easily regulate by releasing ,but a hard water fish in soft water has no or not enough minerals or salts to pull from the water.
many use salt with live bearers as a method to increase hardness,this is not the correct method but better then nothing.
Crushed coral or even 'cuttle bones' in the bird section of pet stores are good to add hardness to your tank.
Hope this helps!

So hopefully I can explain why this may be!
Osmoregulation is the exchange of fluids and salts from within the fish "basically".
Fish that live in soft water by nature have more 'minerals and salts' in their bodies and expel it into the water to achieve balance...
Fish that live in hard water by nature have less 'minerals and salts' in their bodies and need to absorb it...
So a soft water fish in hard water will still be able to easily regulate by releasing ,but a hard water fish in soft water has no or not enough minerals or salts to pull from the water.
many use salt with live bearers as a method to increase hardness,this is not the correct method but better then nothing.
Crushed coral or even 'cuttle bones' in the bird section of pet stores are good to add hardness to your tank.
Hope this helps!
Thanks Tom,

I am one of those who used salt, and initially they seemed much better for it but slowly set back into unhealthy / tired behaviour.. Rocking sligjtly when using their fins etc..

I am feeling like its too late at this point though.. The last-but-one is very evidently knocking on deaths door, and the only one that still seems 100% fine is ironically the one I was worried about when I first bought them, very hyper and skittish, never slept or showed much interest at feeding or mating when the others were constantly trying it on with the females, but now going very strong.. Odd :/

Starting to feel like I should start from scratch but with the long Neon tetra lifespan that may prove difficult!

I've put in some minerals to raise the hardness and am treating the tank with a dose of acriflavin.. Fingers crossed that solves my problems.. After this I'm stumped!

OK so a quick update for the benefit of people in the future - its definitely Neon Tetra Disease.

I noticed the 'chain reaction' so paid extra close attention and like most live bearers, the mollies staeted nipping at the ill one in its final day - then those that got a few bites fell ill themselves withkn a week or so..

The neons are looking pretty bad now too which backs up the theory that they are the ones harbouring it.. Treated the whole tank for everything now and no effect.

So the plan now is to deal with the neons.. They have slightly kinked spines, 'clean' (non-jagged) fin rot, very little colour left, and multiple indentations on their sides.. Oh and slight bloating... I think all in all its clear these are doomed and I won't be getting any more fish until they're gone.

Lesson learnt though, instead of spending all the time focusing on the healthy fish randomly falling ill and dying, I'll be looking at how other fish may be causing it rather than my tank conditions - which I keep pristine.

Thanks for all your efforts guys

Jack (or Chuck if you like) :)

My GBR is all stressed not active. Hiding in rocks plants not swimming around much. White spot on nose. I think the gourami is beating him up.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

My GBR is not eating as much. Seems stressed. Not active. Hiding in rocks and plants. Sitting on the bottom. I think my flame gourami is harassing him. Looks like a white spot on his nose. Should I remove the gourami? All water readings are good. Temp 78. Help

My GBR is not eating as much. Seems stressed. Not active. Hiding in rocks and plants. Sitting on the bottom. I think my flame gourami is harassing him. Looks like a white spot on his nose. Should I remove the gourami? All water readings are good. Temp 78. Help

Why are you posting this in Chuckun's thread? You need to start your own thread for your issue. You've been told this already. If you need help, you can PM me and I will walk you through it.

Back
Top Bottom