Experienced Fancy Keeper - Never Seen This...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Artzy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a two year-old, 6", black moor fancy gold fish with a serious eye problem.
Tank Parameters are:
Ammonia:0.25 ppm
Nitrites: 0 ppm
Nitrates: 0 ppm
Temp:73.8 F
pH: 6.8

His name is D.J. He lives in a 120 gallon tall tank with two other fancies - one slightly bigger and one slightly smaller. There are also 4- 3" fox fish. And we added gigantic pleco that outgrew another healthy tank that we have, about two months ago.

The tank has been set up for two years. We are using a Cascade Canister Filter 1200 gph. We do a 1/3 water change and (lazy) gravel filter every weekend and refill using tap water conditioned with Seachem Prime. Right now, we have no carbon in the tank because we are treating the tank (that probably explains the higher ammonia level).

History:
Two months ago, DJ showed up with a few missing scales and fin rot. We treated the entire tank with Melafix for a week (expensive!). No change in DJ, but nothing seemed to be wrong with the other fish. Removed DJ to 50 gal QT and treated for another week with Melafix while also treating the larger tank with Melafix. Only a slight change in DJ. Other fish, still fine. Changed to Seachem Sulfaplex for both the original tank and the QT. DJ, looked all better within a week and we put him back in the larger tank. We treated for another week just in case. After all Melafix cured him of fin rot once before, so this must have been a bad infection.
Two days after we stopped treating the tank, DJ had fin rot AND fungus on his sides and mouth! He would eat, but other than that, just lay on the bottom of the tank. We resumed the Sulfaplex with DJ in the QT and the rest of the fish in the large tank. By now I was imagining lesions on every fish in there, but my husband assured me that they were all fine. "Treat them anyway!"
Two weeks went by and DJ didn't get better but he didn't get worse.
We switched to Seachem Paraguard for a week. Maybe it was really a parasite? a virus? Yay! Last weekend he looked great and we discussed putting him back in the big tank, but we decided to give another week on the ParaGuard just in case.

This morning...(sob)...a crusty looking ring encircled his left eye and his right eye had a brown film over it. He sat in the bottom of the QT breathing rapidly surrounded by the food my husband tried to feed him.

I moved him back to the large tank to be with his best friend that he's known forever (2 years) for his last days or hours....and he perked up a little. We just don't know what to do for him. I don't know for sure, but it seems like he hates quarantine, even though he gets peeled peas (yuk! my husband has to do this or I'll barf) every other day.

We have 5 tanks in the house. 2 are 120 gal. a 70 gal. a 50 gal and a 25 gal. All with different species and foods and parameters. Could we have messed something up? Did the monster Pleco bring something over?

Anything. Even criticism is welcome.

Attachments

• DJs EYE.jpg
    DJs EYE.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 52
Sometimes the plecos suck on the slime coat of the GF. Could have been germy... Could have caused stress and infectious wounds.

Adding a big fish can cause a mini cycle due to the very large additional waste production.

Sounds like you are doing good things but maybe move big Pleco.

I would add Epsom salt to aid the healing. Magnesium Sulfate you can find it at the drug store or pharmacy department. The kind with no additives. It isn't very much cost. You mix it up for the size of the tank which would be a lot of ES initially.

1 tablespoon per gallon, thank you internet... =7.5 cups of ES to start. A treatment amount.

I can give you additional instructions on mixing and adding it to the tank if wanted.

You could put the Pleco in a large plastic tub/tote for awhile with a rock and DW or cave to hide in.

Looks like Popeye? Treatment for it is usually Kanaplex and pristine water.

Is it possible your tank isn't cycled based off those water tests? Could your medication have killed off all or most of your BB?

I would be so grateful for any additional information you could give. You know , my husband said something about the pleco eating slime coat and I brushed him off. I should have listened. Thank you for your time and advice.

Popeye was my next guess and it should have occurred to me that our BB was all gone. I foresee a bloom or a die off in my future. Any advice for how to restart BB in there (if they survive)? They are too big to go anywhere else. So it would have to be quick.

AngelsPlus sells cycled sponge filters and a couple /few may work but the are not really a cheap fix, a good option but not cheap, probably can get them in a few days.

I second Autumn. If you can't get a jump start with BB media I'd plan on doing partial water changes daily to every other day until you are cycled again.

I have 4 other tanks.

I was wondering if media from one of my other four healthy tanks would work.

DJ's Health Update

DJ is now being treated with Kanaplex and has daily water changes. He looks like he's going to loose that eye (it's slowly rotting away) and now his fins are being eaten away too. His behavior is not sluggish, although he sleeps facing the back wall now (Maybe he's blind?).

Someone please tell me how long to wait? What are the signs that I should put him down? How can I tell if he's in pain? Super difficult decision.

The other fish are all doing fine.

I think if you can't control the fin rot and it progresses and/or he's blind I'd euthanize.

Thank you

Thanks for your advice. It’s always hard making these decisions. Sometimes just one more voice takes a load off.

DJ is now being treated with Kanaplex and has daily water changes. He looks like he's going to loose that eye (it's slowly rotting away) and now his fins are being eaten away too. His behavior is not sluggish, although he sleeps facing the back wall now (Maybe he's blind?).

Someone please tell me how long to wait? What are the signs that I should put him down? How can I tell if he's in pain? Super difficult decision.

The other fish are all doing fine.

Sorry to hear he's still in rough shape.

Back
Top Bottom