Experiment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brookster123

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have 7 cpds recently introduced into an established, Planted 5.5 gal. One is displaying a fuzzy growth on its dorsal area, right side..it's pretty fuzzy. What shall I do? Water parameters are chill at worst.. co2 (1bps) and pps pro..i have api Gen
Cure on hand.. it's a fungal cure, thoughts? Honestly I was going to do a daily wc and see what became? ?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Wish I could help but I'm no Dr. DooLittle. Yep, sounds like it is fungal. Good luck with this!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I haven't tried this yet my self but (other have said will work) some 50/50 peroxide /water or Melafix, remove fish dab wound/fuzzy spot and put back. Do a number of 25% pwc to "clean" up the water.

Do you happen to know how your mineral levels are in the tank, like calcium and magnesium and potassium?

I adjusted my levels up to a normal level (my levels run low out of the tap) and with a little salt (maybe .33 tsp for 5.5G for your size I did 1.5 tsp for 16G) The fish I had in QT's spot disappeared overnight and he has been fine for a week since so far and all others well too. It is a Black Neon and the others in the tank are regular Neons and a Cory. Also pwc as well.

I didn't end up needing to use any meds and they are still in QT, but so far so good. These were fish that were in QT because they were recently purchased from the lfs.

I haven't tried this yet my self but (other have said will work) some 50/50 peroxide /water or Melafix, remove fish dab wound/fuzzy spot and put back. Do a number of 25% pwc to "clean" up the water.

Do you happen to know how your mineral levels are in the tank, like calcium and magnesium and potassium?

I adjusted my levels up to a normal level (my levels run low out of the tap) and with a little salt (maybe .33 tsp for 5.5G for your size I did 1.5 tsp for 16G) The fish I had in QT's spot disappeared overnight and he has been fine for a week since so far and all others well too. It is a Black Neon and the others in the tank are regular Neons and a Cory. Also pwc as well.

I didn't end up needing to use any meds and they are still in QT, but so far so good. These were fish that were in QT because they were recently purchased from the lfs.

Not sure as to the mineral content. There is potassium in the pps pro?? My amano shrimp molt regularly if that's any indicator. I was confused about the Gen cure, it's not fungal, i was thinking of melafix which I also have. Now I can't really qt. No space for an extra tank. What would be your first choice aut?? Melafix the tank?? Touch of salt actually seems the least invasive... or can I simply use the peroxide? That would be great as I could spot treat the plants at the same time!! I like that idea:)

Agree with the salt, it is very beneficial for them. When I was actually using it all the time as a supplement in my water changes, (remember my water source has little salt or KH,) my fish seemed stronger in a way. Obviously depends on a persons water, I can't say as I know the PPs has Potassium, but I think it does...

Agree with the salt, it is very beneficial for them. When I was actually using it all the time as a supplement in my water changes, (remember my water source has little salt or KH,) my fish seemed stronger in a way. Obviously depends on a persons water, I can't say as I know the PPs has Potassium, but I think it does...

Cool, so a touch of salt, i think I'll start adding a sprinkle of equilibrium as well..they're scale less fish though. . Still ok in minute doses?

With Bronze Cories and Emerald Brochis, I have used regular use of the salt about 1/4 tsp per gallon with them and kept them well for 2.5 years changed into not using salt and as much ferts then started having KH problems :/ (Probably for me since the salt mix I used had minerals in it and so did the ferts. totally a side note)

I did make a conscious decision to stop salting the water due to everyone's comments about the issues of it being NOT necessary. I am now wondering.

Back
Top Bottom