Exploding Tetra?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AaronBurr

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello All,

My tetra looks ready to burst. By which I mean, it has suddenly gotten really fat. I have it quarantined for now. What I'm wondering is, sick or pregos?

Its hard to tell from the photo but it is not pine coned, it seems to swim normally and will still eat. I actually went a few days without feeding it but that didn't help. So I tried feeding it very small amount of peas, but that didn't help either. Am I missing anything?

Link: http://i60.tinypic.com/jpd8vq.jpg

Thank you in advance for all your help!

Last edited:
There isn't any picture?? I'm not knowledgeable in tetras but it would be much easier for someone who is to diagnose the problem if they had a pic.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

No photo is showing up.

If it is female, might just be full of eggs, perhaps ? If it is still eating and swimming normally, I'd wait and see. It's possible for fish to be egg bound, I think, though I don't think it's common for this to happen.. but if she has no mate, maybe that's the problem. Not sure there's anything to be done if that's the case.

Thank you both.

Kittykat364: I included a picture here but it is a bit blurry. Let me know if it doesn't work.

Link: http://i60.tinypic.com/jpd8vq.jpg

Fishfur: I have no idea if it is male or female. I do have 3 other tetras, but I just put the fat one in a quarantine tank. Should I move it back in with the other tetras?

Last edited:
Might be best to leave it quarantined for now. I think either something is going to happen or it's going to be ok.. and if there is any chance it is sick, best to have it by itself.

I know it's not easy to sex most tetras.. it was just a thought. I have some purple Harlequins, and I've noticed lately that the females are just so fat. I thought for a bit they had dropsy. Now I'm fairly sure they are just full of eggs. They may be breeding, but if so, they're eating the eggs.

If nothing happens in a couple of weeks, I'd put it back in the regular tank. From the pic, I don't see any sign of raised scales, so it's likely not dropsy. It may well be a very gravid female.

Yes you should move it, so it reduces stress from the fish if the others start picking on him then you quarantine it

Under normal circumstances one would never get neon tetra to breed. So eithers its been eating alot or its sick..

..oh and female's are usually bigger than the male's

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom