External Parasites on Rams? Please help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Eika

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all,

Hoping for some advice/theories on what is killing my rams. Here's some background info:
1~ My GB ram cichlids are turning grey, losing lots of weight, and dying. I've lost 2 so far, with another 3 turned grey at the moment. The only other symptoms are slightly ragged fins and tiny white lines on their scales. Not white spot! But actually threads, like a tiny worm. They're are really small (<1mm) so it's hard to see clearly but they seem to be attached at both ends, more like a loop than an anchor worm. I've also seen them on black widow and cardinal tetras, but none of those have died yet. I'm assuming the rams are more delicate.

2~Parameters: pH 6.0, Ammonia 0.0, Nitrite 0.0, Nitrate <10ppm. Temperature 27C

3~ Tank is a Juwel Vision 180 and has been set up for about a year and moved house with me 2 months ago.

4~ Originally a Juwel Bioflow 3.0, with a 1000lph pump and recently modified (about 1 month ago) to use 1.5L of Eheim ceramic media instead of sponges, so it could hold more bacteria. This broke 2 weeks ago and I've resorted to a 1000lph Tank Maid internal filter while I sort out a proper replacement. However the fish were grey and dying before this happened.

5~Currently contains: 2 adult cherry barbs, 2 female bettas, 6 black widow tetras, 6 TINY cardinal tetras, 2 golden rams, 1 veil tail ram, 3 electric blue rams, 3 juvenile siamese algae eaters, 4 sterbai corydoras, and 3 zebra plecos (~6cm). I'm getting different opinions over whether this is overstocked or not. I'd rather have less; this wasn't the plan but I had to 'adopt' my mum's fish when we moved house. I've never had problems with the water quality and have a lot of live plants so it doesn't seem to be too bad but please tell me what you think.

6~ Did a 30% gravel-siphon water change about 2 weeks ago. I don't water change very often (every couple of months) because a) our house is tank-supplied and therefore we have to save water and b) I don't entirely trust the roofing materials after a water change once killed 48 guppy fry overnight. I've always done it this way and as mentioned above, I've never had ammonia/nitrite etc so don't really think this is the problem. But I'm keen to hear your opinions!

7~ Between 2 months-2 years, I work in an aquatic shop so know to acclimatise them slowly.

8~ New driftwood about 4 weeks ago, it was pre-soaked for a few days and scrubbed. Nonetheless, I am wondering if this has introduced something nasty.

9~ They get a mixture of JBL granules, novotab, novopleco, and other dried foods. I gave them frozen bloodworms a few weeks ago but can't remember when exactly. This is another prime suspect. I (last week) bought some spirulina flake, as I began to wonder if the rams were sick from having too much meat-based protein in their diet.

So far I have treated with Melafix, Pimafix, and Tonic to no avail.
The only other medicines available where I am is Furan-2 which I'd rather avoid, and tonic salt which I am reading about now. Would treating with salt be safe for my catfish (corydoras and zebra plecos)?

Anybody know what the white things are? Early anchor worms or similar? Please help my fish are my babies and I've ran out of ideas. It's heartbreaking watching them one by one get sick and fade away :(

If it helps to picture, the white things look like the ones on this neon tetra but are not so numerous (yet) https://www.google.co.nz/search?q=c...-deseases-product-freshwater-aquarium;567;192

Hmm... I am not sure based on the information but it could be anchorworms.... You will want to tweezer them off and then apply a hydrogen peroxide swab. Watch this video on how to do it. And this one

This site may help you diagnose and in turn, cure.

Best of luck, - Raymond

Those are definitely NOT anchor worms based on your description. Anchor worms are about 4mm grey and stick out like a porcupine quill or impaled arrow.

Your observation sounds like fungus, possibly due to a more serious infection such as an internal parasite which is relatively common in cichlids.
If the white marks are not moving then it is probably fungus affecting an immune compromised fish.

Try treating with prazi pro, paraguard, and metronidazole. Paraguard (seachem brand) will kill both fungus and parasites but might harm catfish and other scale-less species as well as shrimps. Prazi Pro kills flukes. Metronidazole kills protozoan and internal parasites. All medications are expensive so try to use a small aquarium like a 10 gallon tank so you can use less medication. Smaller tanks like 5 gallon tend to get foul water too soon, so 10 gallon is best. Change water daily and medicate daily after each water change.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom