Extremely bloated betta!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mirizzle

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My mother has had her betta fish for about 6 months. A few weeks ago it started bloating. At first we thought it was just from overfeeding, so we fasted it for a few days and fed it a pea. This did nothing to help, in fact the bloating got worse over time.

Over the past week his bloating has gotten REALLY bad, and he has trouble swimming down, so I am assuming Swim Bladder Disease is the culprit. We have tried isolating him in a hospital tank and giving him epsom salt baths, but nothing seems to be working.

I am just wondering if there is any hope for him, or if we should euthanize him. He has trouble swimming and has become really fidgety, randomly darting into the walls of the tank. I hate to see him like this... :(

Any advice would be really appreciated.

I once had a black moor that was like that since I got him. He was permanently stuck upside down no matter what I tried. I got him to live for 2 and a half years like that, but I wouldn't recommend it. I have heard crazy solutions to the problem like sticking a needle in them, or inserting a rock inside. Try feeding more peas to him. Sometimes my fish will have a minor version of this problem, and it will be gone in a few days. I think soaking the food before feeding helps, or maybe taking it to an aquatic vet or something.

Back
Top Bottom