Faded Neon Tetra...What could it mean?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishN00b83

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have noticed that one of my Neon Tetras is kind of faded. It doesnt have a lot of color and I'm trying to figure out what it could mean. It's eating with the rest of them, it schools with them, and for the most part, normal I think. When the moonlights go on, all the Tetras come together in a tight school for the first hour or two, and I have noticed that the faded one sometimes wont join them, but rather swim slowly around the tank and maybe meet up for a little while.

I have read a lot on NTD, but I'm not sure this one has it. It doesnt have those crazy white marks, its eating normal from what I can tell, and its not just sitting on the bottom of the tank waiting to die. Some of my Neons have bellies, but I dont know if thats normal, or early warning signs of something worse to come. They all seem normal to me, but I'm not exactly sure what normal is.

What could be wrong with it? Is it normal for a Tetra to be dull in color?

I have noticed that one of my Neon Tetras is kind of faded. It doesnt have a lot of color and I'm trying to figure out what it could mean. It's eating with the rest of them, it schools with them, and for the most part, normal I think. When the moonlights go on, all the Tetras come together in a tight school for the first hour or two, and I have noticed that the faded one sometimes wont join them, but rather swim slowly around the tank and maybe meet up for a little while.

I have read a lot on NTD, but I'm not sure this one has it. It doesnt have those crazy white marks, its eating normal from what I can tell, and its not just sitting on the bottom of the tank waiting to die. Some of my Neons have bellies, but I dont know if thats normal, or early warning signs of something worse to come. They all seem normal to me, but I'm not exactly sure what normal is.

What could be wrong with it? Is it normal for a Tetra to be dull in color?

I hope you get a reply to this, as my friend has a neon that does this and we keep puzzling about it.

Hi! Im not an expert on neons and i hope someone with neon experience chimes in here! That said, anytime time theres an issue with sick fish (whether its 1 fish or multiple), you have to start with your tank. How are your water parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, ph)? Is your tank cycled? Lets start with that first and try to figure out whats going on.

My second question is do you have a hospital or quarantine tank that you can isolate your sick fish into to prevent him from infecting your other fish? It does sound suspiciously like neon tetra disease-the fading color and refusal to school at night are classic symptoms. Can a neon expert help out here???

Last edited:
Hey there, sorry for your disturbing situation. I too am no expert, however, I have had tetras for quite some time and IMHO if its eating and active is it possible it's just nearing the end of its normal life cycle? I think quarantine is a very good idea as if it is NTD, it could wipe out your whole school. From what I have seen/read the disease is much more virulent and brutal to the fish than what you have described. Again, this is just my opinion, but I have had tetras and cherry barbs fade and they have always died not to long a time later so I hope it works out better for your fish!

My tank is cycled 6.4 ph, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 0 nitrate (my tank is heavily planted so I need to start dosing N). All the other fish are fine, but this one was looking worse so I put him in a 5 gallon bucket. Once I get into a new place I'm going to have a qt tank, but right now I live in NYC and apartments here are pretty tight lol.

Sorry I have no experience with Neons either. I know you fishless cycled the tank. What is your water change schedule (how much and how often)? Nitrates?

The symptoms are vague...it could be anything really. Is the fish stressed? Do you notice it being chased by any other fish in the tank?

I'd watch it closely, maybe even quarantine it and observe it if you can. If it is NTD it isn't curable, unfortunately and you'd want to remove it before your tank is infected.

Sorry about your fish, I hope it works out.

*Edit: we replied at the same time. :) It's good you QT the fish. A bucket may not make it the easiest to observe him, but at least he's separated. I'd put an air stone in there though, particularly if there's no filter. You may need a small heater too depending upon what your room temp is. Good luck.

Ok. Your numbers are good so its not your water causing a problem. Im glad you isolated your sick fish. If its NTD, there is no cure that i know of because its caused by a protozoa. If its false neon tetra disease (same symptoms but caused by bacteria), you can try treating your fish with Maracyn products. There is no way to know if its true NTD or false NTD without lab tests so give the antibiotics a try and see if he responds. I would use a combo of Maracyn 1 and 2 (they can be used safely together)-one is a gram-positive antibiotic, the other is a gram-negative antibiotic. Follow the directions on the boxes. Make sure you keep his water clean & healthy (dose antibiotics after wc's). That said, if its true NTD, im not sure what protocol to follow to keep your other fish from becoming sick (protozoa float around in the water)-ive heard a diatom filter helps to remove them from the water. I hope this helps!!! Let us know what happens and hopefully someone with more neon experience can suggest some other ideas!!!!

I'll goto the shitty LFS and see if they have this stuff, I doubt they will though. I live in NYC and we don't have one good fish store around, even long island sucks.

librarygirl said:
Sorry I have no experience with Neons either. I know you fishless cycled the tank. What is your water change schedule (how much and how often)? Nitrates?

The symptoms are vague...it could be anything really. Is the fish stressed? Do you notice it being chased by any other fish in the tank?

I'd watch it closely, maybe even quarantine it and observe it if you can. If it is NTD it isn't curable, unfortunately and you'd want to remove it before your tank is infected.

Sorry about your fish, I hope it works out.

*Edit: we replied at the same time. :) It's good you QT the fish. A bucket may not make it the easiest to observe him, but at least he's separated. I'd put an air stone in there though, particularly if there's no filter. You may need a small heater too depending upon what your room temp is. Good luck.

Heater and filter are in there with a air tube.

All my neons have been doing this quick dart towards each other since I got them. Idk if they're just playing around or if it's something else, it's kind of interesting to watch though.

I know petsmart carries Maracyn products (i bought both there before). If not, look on Amazon or DrsFoster & Smith website. They both can ship overnight or 2-day (less money). Im not sure where to buy a diatom filter but ill look. Its worth a try!!!

Last edited:
It's not NTD. Most likely, it's because they're washed out or have gotten some ammonia burns from pet store conditions. I used to have a lot. In the many I've kept, the ones from Petco are always washed out and faded, while the ones from a good LFS are always nice and vibrant.

bruinsbro1997 said:
It's not NTD. Most likely, it's because they're washed out or have gotten some ammonia burns from pet store conditions. I used to have a lot. In the many I've kept, the ones from Petco are always washed out and faded, while the ones from a good LFS are always nice and vibrant.

I've only gotten them form one LFS and the rest are really nice looking. I guess I'll keep it in the 5g for a week and see what happens.

You wouldnt be asking for help if you didnt think something was wrong! I would keep him QT and lets see what the neon experts have to say.

Back
Top Bottom