fairground fish with troubles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

coldwaterfan

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi

I have a fairground fish with a torn tail and i cant work out if it is bacterial or not.

The issue is not effecting any of the other fish just him. He is 6 years old now.

I use exteral filters and 2 12" bubble stones.

ForumRunner_20131027_194655.jpg

It might also be worth noting that he has suddenly started swimming at the lid full pelt and hits it with a fair bit of force he def has enough space in the tank and enclosed is a pic from this morning so u can see he has ripped off a huge chunk of it.

ForumRunner_20131027_195150.jpg

ForumRunner_20131027_195222.jpg

If he does no further damage to himself, it should heal with time. Very clean water is the best treatment. If you can get them, Indian Almond leaves or banana leaves have antibiotic properties that can be helpful, if only to help prevent rot setting in.
So long as it's just torn and shows no sign of rot, it should heal, eventually. They can regrow fins, but it takes quite some time. Look for signs of new tissue appearing on the torn edges. If you see that, he's mending.

How big is their tank ? He may be trying to jump for lack of space.. even though you think he has plenty, goldfish really need quite a lot of space, far more than most people think they do.

400ltr tank 4ft long

I am just waiting for more bio balls carbon and ceramic to arrive for my filter which should be turning 80gallon an hour
Yeah def fairground ping pong ball in the jam jar

Good to hear it's a big tank. Btw, you don't need carbon. It used to be thought it was needed but new research shows it's not only NOT needed, but can sometimes do harm. So today it is not much used by most experienced fish keepers unless they need to remove odours, colour or some meds from water, and then is used only until the needed job is done.

Unfortunately, most filter manufacturers continue to put carbon into their 'refill' cartridges, and people use them, perhaps not even knowing the carbon is there. And if they don't change those cartridges often enough, the carbon can discharge what it has adsorbed, if it's left too long unchanged.

It is best replaced by extra bio media, which will do much more good than carbon does. If you want to use it, you have to be aware it becomes exhausted within a few weeks, and must then be replaced. Once exhausted, then it can release all the organics it's adsorbed back into the water, where they may cause harm.

I have it in case I need it, but never use it as a routine media. I use it more for orchid growing than anything else.

Carbon gets washed out every 2 weeks i buy it loose as its cheaper than cartriges external in cabnet filter. I didnt know that about carbon and will give that a go with out it and double up on the ceramic disks

In my experience excessive jumping or ramming is usually a response to either too much ammonia/nitrite or not enough space. It's a natural response of the fish trying to hop from an unsuitable body of water to a better one, like the way walking catfish will flop from stream to stream when they overpopulate

That's the problem with carbon. Washing it does not help matters once it has exhausted its ability to adsorb.

It can only be regenerated if you have access to something like a kiln. It requires very high temperatures for the right length of time. Not something the average fish keeper can do. Try it without, and use the extra bio media instead, I think you'll find things work very well.

Back
Top Bottom