Fat danio sitting on bottom of tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

krap101

Aquarium Advice Addict
It seems like she? is sitting on the bottom of the tank, seeming "tired". I've never had danios spawn before, but is this possible that this is spawning, or should I be worried?

Edit: She's back on the top of the tank, so I guess that it may not be as bad as I thought, but I'm still thinking she might be about to drop eggs.

I've read something about if the eggs don't come out, the danio might die, and you have to try to "massage" the eggs out? Is this common?

I just cleaned out my filter and found I had a nitrate spike. I'm doing pwc's right now, and have put the danio in a floating breeder trap. There is heavy breathing, and lying down on its side (I think the stomach is too rounded to be able to rest upright. I'll get some pics to try to confirm. On the stomach, I see what seem to be blood vessels.

I think my danio has something similar to this person

http://www.petfish.net/forum/index.php?topic=69681.0

Here's a picture

4799687548_aa4ef784a9_b.jpg

She's a little more active after the wc's, but still has a little "waddle" to her swim, but I suspect this is because of her belly :p.

I noticed the mts at the top of the tank this morning, and I thought it might be crazy mts day, but once again, the mts saved my fish. They are an excellent "litmus test" to see if the tank is in order (mostly). After messing with my filter last night (it was making noise), my nitrates jumped to like 120-140, which definitely isn't good.

The two other males (the only skinny ones) were hanging around the bottom of the tank, and I saw some headbutting, so that means she's about to/currently dropping eggs right?

I don't know much about breeding, but have you been able to get the nitrates down? Pwc's and cleaning the filter and substrate will help that. :)

It's sometimes tough to tell the difference once you have a decently large school, but all danios present and accounted for :)

Thank god for malaysian trumpet snails too...

After I got my nitrates down, she was sitting under a piece of driftwood with some java fern on top, and was sitting on the gravel, which is what worried me. Anyways, I'm guessing that she probably dropped eggs, and they're probably gone by now. If the nitrates were the cause then I'd imagine more fish would be exhibiting the same symptoms (probably be on the top of the tank rather than the bottom), but anyways, crisis averted :).

Anyways, I thought danios were the ones that just sprayed eggs all over the tank. Isn't that why people use marble bottoms?

Back
Top Bottom