Fat guppy!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maestromad

Aquarium Advice Addict
Evening everyone, ok so my male guppy has always been a bit round of the belly however I noticed he looks a bit different today I may just be being paranoid though!
He's eating fine and not acting any differently but I'm not sure if the scales on the underneath of his belly are protruding more or if it's just that I've notices them!
Amy ideas?

He's always been a big boy!! I've treated for internal bacteria previously because of dodgy poop. I also used some king British revitaliser tonic but he doesn't seem I'll?? Confused

Any scales sticking out like a pinecone? Is the bulge even on both sides? Have you tried fasting the fish for a day or 2 and seeing if the bulge goes down at all?
How is his poop now?

I couldn't say they are like pine cones however it's like when you rub a rug the wrong way but only on the underneath of him not all over like I've seen other fish.
The fatness is all round I've tried to get a front on pic but he doesn't stay still.
I fast the fish once a week and he's neer not been fat I've had him since sept, he's survived ich and my uselessness with water testing!
His poop is a light brown but not a stringy

I've just checked my water did a 40L change earlier my nitrite is 0 nitrate 10-20 ad the ammo looks a bit yellow (lost my colour chart!) so will prob do another small change when I get bk home later - just changed over to prime could this have anything to do with it??

If his scale are raised, its likely dropsy. I can't tell from the picture how much the scales are raised.

Ok now I notice my ottos both have a white patch on thier heads in the same spot. It's not raised and wasn't there this morning. I give up! What is going on with my tank??

Is it a missing scale, or is it on top of the scales? My otos get a bit of white mottling sometimes on their heads/backs. That is a pretty pronounced spot though...

Oh, and to answer your earlier question, no the switch to prime really shouldn't matter.

It doesn't look raised possibly a missing scale?? Strange it's on both though. It certainly doesnt look like ich.
Should I dose again with the tonic? It's a blend of salts similar to voogle and says to work on run down fish and relieve fish of constipation & perceived swim bladder problems??

Scratch my last the little darling just got into a better lit part of te tank. It looks like a fungus cotton wool like? Mate it is ich or could be the same thing that my other tri died of yesterday? How stressful is this hobby?

This hobby is stressful at times but IMO its worth it. Do frequent water changes and perhaps salt, not sure on your current stock so salt may or may not be an option or may have to be half dose. Clean water and salt are awesome aquarium tools and fish healers. If you want to see stressful check out the - HELP!! URGENT!! Fish mayday thread, convict has suffered the worst scenario I've heard of and that thread reminds us how lucky we are to only deal with things such as ick and fish aggression.

I only fund it stressful cos I've really fallen in love with my little fishy friends. I can't use salt as my corys are really sensitive to it :(

Ok further update, my guppy is no longer as fat but has a bump/spot on te front of him and he's rather triangular in shape. Can anyone help/advise??

Thanks, I've been using revitaliser tonic in the tank which has produced his latest shape! Should I keep going with this maybe it's helping??

He's passed away overnight. I think it could've have been a physical issue absolute as he's always been large

I've just done some research on tumours/growths in guppies and sadly it looks like that what he had. There was nothing I could have done if that's the case. Poor guy

Back
Top Bottom