Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-01-2012, 01:03 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Fat guppy!!

Evening everyone, ok so my male guppy has always been a bit round of the belly however I noticed he looks a bit different today I may just be being paranoid though!
He's eating fine and not acting any differently but I'm not sure if the scales on the underneath of his belly are protruding more or if it's just that I've notices them!
Amy ideas?

Old 02-01-2012, 01:46 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to kdpuffer
Wow he is HUGE could be from food but I dunno. May be internal parasites/worms.

Old 02-01-2012, 01:52 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

He's always been a big boy!! I've treated for internal bacteria previously because of dodgy poop. I also used some king British revitaliser tonic but he doesn't seem I'll?? Confused
Old 02-01-2012, 01:53 PM   #4
Daphnia are People Too.
Community Moderator

POTM Champion

Any scales sticking out like a pinecone? Is the bulge even on both sides? Have you tried fasting the fish for a day or 2 and seeing if the bulge goes down at all?
How is his poop now?
Old 02-01-2012, 02:15 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I couldn't say they are like pine cones however it's like when you rub a rug the wrong way but only on the underneath of him not all over like I've seen other fish.
The fatness is all round I've tried to get a front on pic but he doesn't stay still.
I fast the fish once a week and he's neer not been fat I've had him since sept, he's survived ich and my uselessness with water testing!
His poop is a light brown but not a stringy

I've just checked my water did a 40L change earlier my nitrite is 0 nitrate 10-20 ad the ammo looks a bit yellow (lost my colour chart!) so will prob do another small change when I get bk home later - just changed over to prime could this have anything to do with it??
Old 02-01-2012, 02:28 PM   #6
Daphnia are People Too.
Community Moderator

POTM Champion

If his scale are raised, its likely dropsy. I can't tell from the picture how much the scales are raised.
Old 02-01-2012, 02:29 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok now I notice my ottos both have a white patch on thier heads in the same spot. It's not raised and wasn't there this morning. I give up! What is going on with my tank??
Old 02-01-2012, 02:37 PM   #8
Daphnia are People Too.
Community Moderator

POTM Champion

Is it a missing scale, or is it on top of the scales? My otos get a bit of white mottling sometimes on their heads/backs. That is a pretty pronounced spot though...

Oh, and to answer your earlier question, no the switch to prime really shouldn't matter.
Old 02-01-2012, 02:44 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

It doesn't look raised possibly a missing scale?? Strange it's on both though. It certainly doesnt look like ich.
Should I dose again with the tonic? It's a blend of salts similar to voogle and says to work on run down fish and relieve fish of constipation & perceived swim bladder problems??
Old 02-01-2012, 02:48 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Scratch my last the little darling just got into a better lit part of te tank. It looks like a fungus cotton wool like? Mate it is ich or could be the same thing that my other tri died of yesterday? How stressful is this hobby?

Tags
guppy

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com