Fat, holding or sick?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zagz

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have these 3 cichlids that are either very fat, very sick or holding. Anyone have any opinions? I'm thinking they are eating more than their share and am planning on reducing feedings. I don't feed more than gets eaten in a minute or two but these 3 are the piggies of the group. Any opinions appreciated.

what are you feeding them?
they are mumba right?
high protien diets can have a bloat effect (not good for there heath)

Have you tried pea's?

if they are muba and your feeding them primarly a vegitaiarian diet and or you have tried pea's they might just be holding.. but some of those fish are REALY bloated..

I know that is why I am worried, I feed them NLS and zucchini and cukes, algae pellets are added for the bottom feeders. It is the 3 same mbuna species that are afflicted. They are only 2 weeks in the tank so they may have had a problem from the lfs. I am trying the peas for them tonight though. Thanks GM!

I did some research on Malawi bloat, the majority of the symptoms aren't matching. It is most likely regular bloat from overeating. They are not constipated as they are pooping normally all 3 of them. But they are still getting peas for dinner tonight! I'll have to keep an eye on them. They are the first to the food when it is feeding time. I'm going to start by cutting the feeding in half proportions and feed the peas.

You have a great diet going on Zagz. They do not appear to be holding since the female will hold the eggs in her mouth to hatch. Your plan sounds good, feel peas and zucs for a few days and cut back on the amount of food. Are there any other symptoms besides the bloating?

Absolutely nothing, they are active, not gasping, pooping fine, playing with the bubbles the way they always do. That is why I am thinking they are piggies and eating more than their share. Why do a few fish always have to be pigs? LOL reminds me of my uncle.

LOL If they appear healthy and act normal, I wouldn't worry too much about it. But definately cut back on the food for a while until they get back to their "normal" size. And if they do start acting strange, then its time for concern.

Back
Top Bottom