"Fat" Zebra Danios

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fynnie

Aquarium Advice Regular
I recently purchased 7 Zebra Danios from a LFS, 4 died within a week. They swelled up to the size of pencils and then floated belly up . I have removed the remaining fish to a quarintine tank ( 5 gallon no water parameters because I dont test at home, but the testing at the LFS showed no Nitrates and a very high PH 8!) So now they are in a salted tank and the swelling is going down but they still have reddish gills and look red around the vents. They seem happy and are eating like nothing is wrong but I have my doubts that any will make it since they were so stressed. Any one else had a problem with bloating in these fish?

fynnie said:
I recently purchased 7 Zebra Danios from a LFS, 4 died within a week. They swelled up to the size of pencils and then floated belly up . I have removed the remaining fish to a quarintine tank ( 5 gallon no water parameters because I dont test at home, but the testing at the LFS showed no Nitrates and a very high PH 8!) So now they are in a salted tank and the swelling is going down but they still have reddish gills and look red around the vents. They seem happy and are eating like nothing is wrong but I have my doubts that any will make it since they were so stressed. Any one else had a problem with bloating in these fish?
red around the gills may mean Ammonia poisoning..how long has this tank been set up?
how did you cycle it?

a cycled tank should have SOME nitrates...

why do you not test at home :? pick up a test kit and test for ammonia and nitrite...post those here...

I had originally put these fish into a almost cycled tank the Nitrites were on the way down and the Nitrates were stabilizing ( according to the LFS) Im really new at this fish hobby and up to now have taking every bit of advice the LFS has given me verbatim. I am purchasing a test kit and have decided to make a serious effort to understand things better.I tore down the tank I originally put these fish into and added a 2'' layer of peat moss under the gravel ( my PH was way up @ an 8!) Currently I have no fish in this tank as I am attempting a fishless cycle with shrimp. Its very frusterating being new and not having a clue.

fynnie said:
I had originally put these fish into a almost cycled tank the Nitrites were on the way down and the Nitrates were stabilizing ( according to the LFS) Im really new at this fish hobby and up to now have taking every bit of advice the LFS has given me verbatim.
i can not speak for you LFS...but IME LFS do not always know what they are taking about
I am purchasing a test kit and have decided to make a serious effort to understand things better.I tore down the tank I originally put these fish into and added a 2'' layer of peat moss under the gravel ( my PH was way up @ an 8!)
PH of 8 is not really a problem unless you are trying to breed your fish or are keeping sensitive, wild caught fish that need a lowe PH. tank breed fish are very adaptable and a stable PH is better then a PREFECT ph...
Currently I have no fish in this tank as I am attempting a fishless cycle with shrimp. Its very frusterating being new and not having a clue.
that is why you are in the right place to get help :D

Get hold of some pure ammonia if you can, it's a much quicker way of cycling.
You wont have to wait for the shrimp to start decaying that way.

I don't trust any LFS advice, they gave me the worst possible start in the hobby. I lost some nice fish and some of my effort/interest in the hobby.
The woman who advised me said... "Leave the tank to stand for a week or two filled with water, then you can start to add fish." :roll:

Always get a second opinion if you can, also get hold of some books if possible too.

JUst thought I would do a update on my " Fat " Danios, I have four left and they have been healing in a salted QT tank, they have all almost lost their swelling and the red has faded to traces around their gills. The tank water measures at :
PH: 7.6
Amm: 0
Nitrites: 0
There is 2 TBS of Aquarium salt for 5 gallons of water the temp is 74 and the lights are back on for 12 hours a day

Back
Top Bottom