Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-13-2013, 03:53 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Hi, lately my black skirt tetras and zebra danios have fallen to what I believe to be a swim bladder issue. There were 6 tetras and 3 danio, now there is 2 and 1. One fish at a time would begin swimming erratically, which would increase until death. There are no external signs of anything. The first two to go were the danio but the last one remains stable. One of the two tetras is already having difficulty with buoyancy.

My tap water is hard, but I have a water softening pillow keeping the GH around 25. There is no ammonia or nitrites present and nitrate is minimal. pH is around 6.5.

The tank is a 20 gallon hex with an Aquaclear 70 filter. Inside the Aquaclear there is a poly filter, a large sponge, a large amount of Purigen and quite a bit of biological media.

I've tried boiled shelled peas but they do not like them very much and nothing has changed.

Does anyone have ideas? I would like to get new fish but I don't know what's going on. Do I have to start the tank from scratch? Is there any saving these fish?

Old 06-14-2013, 10:43 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

My pea puffer got swim bladder a while back and I think it was from the CO2 I'm running in that tank. I moved him to a different tank and doctored him with Melafix. I don't know if that's what fixed it but he's fine now. I'm keeping him in the tank without the CO2. Good luck!

"A man who is good enough to shed his blood for his country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards." - Theodore Roosevelt
thursyanna is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
swim bladder

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com