female betta missing a ventral fin?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shynepo3

Aquarium Advice Activist
so i just recently got a female betta to go into a 5 gallon tank - it was vacated from a male betta who upgraded.

i didn't notice at the store...there were about 10 females, but some really small, some really BIG, and this one looked about the right size and color. she was a bit active too in her tiny cup.

i got home, and she's missing a ventral fin! now, should i try to treat her by using salt and heat? right now tank is at 80, cycled, but no salt. has bwe and ial. and is there a chance it doesnt grow back? the other one looks completely fine.

oh, water parms:

0-amm
0-nitrite
10-20ppm-nitrates

As long as the spot where her fin should be isn't red sore looking and looks normal, except for the missing fin, she was probably born that way. Birth defect and nothing you can do. She'll be fine with one fin. :)

It's not read but I can see a little piece.. Looks like it was torn.

She's real active though. Swims real fast, compared to the male.

shynepo3 said:
It's not read but I can see a little piece.. Looks like it was torn.

She's real active though. Swims real fast, compared to the male.

I meant red... iPhone keyboard

She may be one that slipped past..that really should have been a cull. I got a female recently that has two mouths..very interesting. Sometimes they miss those defects.

If it does appear torn, clean water is the best medicine. Salt is definitely not necessary and could do more harm than good. Raising the heat isn't necesary either..unless she's not already at 80..then go ahead and raise it to 80 as that's what they do the best at. Get the nitrates lower..you want it as perfect as can be while she's healing. Do a small water change every other day. Keep up with this unless you start to see any signs of infection that would need treated. If after a month you see no re-growth, do a round of BettaFix. If you already have MelaFix on hand you can use that instead, just be sure use only 1/5 of the dosage for bettas.

thanks for the replies...unfortunately, she died today. apparently, she decided to jump out of the tank, while i wasn't home. by the time i got home, she was long gone.

there is a small opening in the back where the filter hob is. she jumped thru and ended up behind my mini fridge. so sad...:(

my other betta, i leave the tank hood open all the time, and he never jumps.

I'm SO sorry :(

I don't know what it is..but right now I think I have 4 males and 8 females..none of the males jump and every single female does.

Maybe because theyre smaller and
Lighter, they can jump higher....who knows. I feel like I should have taken precautions for this...

I'll be heading to petsmart later...also have to find some net...any suggestions for the net?

Yeah. A few of my girls I can barely work in their tanks w/o losing one of them. They are ridiculous. LOL

To cover the open area around the HOB, the cheapest thing to do might be to cut up a pair of pantyhose and get that on there somehow...

siva said:
Yeah. A few of my girls I can barely work in their tanks w/o losing one of them. They are ridiculous. LOL

To cover the open area around the HOB, the cheapest thing to do might be to cut up a pair of pantyhose and get that on there somehow...

That is a PERFECT idea! Thanks! Cheap too!

She may be one that slipped past..that really should have been a cull. I got a female recently that has two mouths..very interesting. Sometimes they miss those defects.

If it does appear torn, clean water is the best medicine. Salt is definitely not necessary and could do more harm than good. Raising the heat isn't necesary either..unless she's not already at 80..then go ahead and raise it to 80 as that's what they do the best at. Get the nitrates lower..you want it as perfect as can be while she's healing. Do a small water change every other day. Keep up with this unless you start to see any signs of infection that would need treated. If after a month you see no re-growth, do a round of BettaFix. If you already have MelaFix on hand you can use that instead, just be sure use only 1/5 of the dosage for bettas.
2 mouths:eek:!? pics please

2 mouths:eek:!? pics please
If I can ever get one I'll def let you know. I think maybe I'll try to get a video of it sometime. Her face looks just not quite right, but then when I feed her, I see the second mouth above the main one open up a little. :blink:

Back
Top Bottom